What did you do to your FZ today?

Put some new rubber on the front then whilst installing the wheel noticed the material was coming away from the brake pad , a little prod & poke now it's on the floor so waiting for new pads till I can ride

Went for a nice little 550km trip north to explore a couple of roads I'd never been on, in particular one called Wootton Way. Years ago it was part of the main highway north, now it is small hamlets along the way. Not a bad road though. Mostly 3 lanes wide, divided in parts with some nice bends. At this time of year though there is a lot of moss and tree litter to keep you sensible.

The other road was around part of the Myall Lakes. Ended up doing 10km there and back to a ferry on the road didn't fry like hanging around and paying the rather steep fare or the long wait for service. $5.50 for a motorbike to cross a river that is only about 30 metres wide and the ferry only seems to cross from each direction once an hour. Had my first ride in soft sand to get this pic:
Myall%20Lakes_1000_zpsn5dhw62i.jpg

Bonzai, I'm diggin your front turn signals. Where could I get a set? Nice bike.

I installed some Renthal soft all diamond grips today, safety wired them. I'm a dirt biker.

20150613_151935.jpg

Put some new rubber on the front then whilst installing the wheel noticed the material was coming away from the brake pad , a little prod & poke now it's on the floor so waiting for new pads till I can ride

Good thing you noticed the pads before you lost them on a ride.

Wow! 6500K from an LED. I can't wait to see the differences between the incandescent bulbs and those.

Fitted the LEDs on Sunday.
The rear of the headlight area of the FZ1S is very accessible and has what appears to be a lot of space behind the lights.
Std%20fitting800_zpsv3mo3lcv.jpg

However the cooling system for these particular lights protrudes a long way but there is still a centimetre of clearance so all good.
LED%20Tight%20Fit800_zpshosa01ym.jpg

I had to enlarge the hole in the rubber dust caps so they would go over the LED coolers. As mentioned previously, there are several different cooling systems on different brands of LED headlights. This type would not be suitable for a lot of bikes so shop carefully.

The pigtail leads on the lights were handy. They were a tight fit but once they were connected to the loom I electrical taped the join and zip tied them back to the other anchored lighting cables.

I didn't end up adjusting the lights. The low beam point a bit lower so I'm less likely to have people think i'm running with high beam. The high beam seems to be focussed about the same height. I think these are due to the shape of the reflector and the way that the LED has the 3 low beam elements on top of the unit and the low beam element on the bottom. With any glass bulb light, the light from both elements hits the whole reflector fairly evenly. There are other brands that have the LEDs all the way around and would make better use of the FZ1 reflectors.

I've only done a short night ride on mixed roads around my local area but initial observations are:
I've got to get used to the bluer light. The LEDs do put out plenty of light but the colour temperature can make it seem lower.
I was amazed at how quickly the lights come on. When starting the bike, the standard headlights seemed to take about a quarter of a second to come up to full intensity. The LEDS were instant. It was the same when switching on high beam; absolutely no lag or fade up effect.

And the result in GIF form
LEDGIF_zpskh5vq1lz.gif

Please excuse an error on the first 2 main pics in the GIF. The Std +100 and LED +100 labels are the wrong way around.

Galfer steel braided brake lines front and rear, EBC front pads, brake fluid flush front and rear. EXUP valve maintenance.

Tomorrow: New Pilot road 3 rear, Oxford heated grips. touring windscreen :)

Dropped the bike off at my Yam dealer to have all OEM brakelines (rubber) repalced with red steel braided lines. It will be a tricky and $$$ job, as the lines all the way back and from the ABS pump will be replaced, both for and aft...Together with my R1 front fork upgrade this will be a major upgrade in braking and suspension of this machine

Side comment: with the fairing removed, I kinda like this "aggressive" look :Rockon:

Attachments

• IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Awesome color Lonney!!! Get some pics of
eb0a107e0b3dad2480cb4f2a5911078d.jpg

Well Billy i had the rims perfect AND THEN !! had the bright idea to redo the lips of the rim over and messed them up and. Ran out of powder .[emoji90] boooo. Well they look good from 20' away maybe ill make the lip black next tire change !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome color Lonney!!! Get some pics of
eb0a107e0b3dad2480cb4f2a5911078d.jpg

Well Billy i had the rims perfect AND THEN !! had the bright idea to redo the lips of the rim over and messed them up and. Ran out of powder .[emoji90] boooo. Well they look good from 20' away maybe ill make the lip black next tire change !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck! they look great from here Lonney! I'm happy to see you moving up to the bigger pieces now. That's awesome.

Back