What a deal for someone!

Buyers get nervous when they see scratched up engine cases. If I were selling that bike I would have at least changed the covers. I'd still disclose that the bike went down but it would look a lot nicer to a potential buyer.

I learned recently that what something looks like and is or isn't on the internet can be quite different when you're standing next to it. It will take some repainting for sure and if he needed new bars, more than likely new lever(s) are probably in the works too and maybe a switch pod. Obviously the left side of the engine needs some work and who knows about the shift linkage. If all that is in good condition then I would say it's an OK deal. When I do my pricing I try to add in the costs associated with making it look like I just bought it off the showroom floor then I decide if it's really a good deal. I do feel bad for a kid that goes out, buys a bike over his head then has a wife who insists he can't keep his toy because it got away from him. Hopefully this guy will find a buyer to take it off his hands but this is the worst time to sell a bike and in the great white north it's twice as hard.

My $0.02 is, it is not a "Bad" deal but not good either. Kelly Blue Book lists the 09 in excellent condition for $6665.00. To repaint this bike could be anywhere from $600 to around $1200. Replacing the cracked fairing could be $100 used to $250 if you buy a new one. Then, it depends on what else is damaged and needs to be replaced.

At that point, you're total $$ for the bike and repairs is quickly approaching the KBB value of an "Excellent" bike, but this bike has been down and you've had to put a lot of time and labor into it. If he were asking $4000 or less,, maybe,,. but at $5100 to $5500, it just doesn't add up to a good deal to me.

In my opinion you don't bend the handlebars in a 5 mph drop. I agree with the $4,000.00 price being reasonable.

Mine was knocked over on a parking lot and did $ 1400.00 damage on insurance.
Bent bars, repaint fairing, brake lever, yoshi slip, decals....adds up pretty fast.

On this bike I would have to ask why is it not fixed, surrely if you spent 11g's you would have taken insurance.
something does not add up. And cases look like more than a 5mph drop

Mine was knocked over on a parking lot and did $ 1400.00 damage on insurance.
Bent bars, repaint fairing, brake lever, yoshi slip, decals....adds up pretty fast.

On this bike I would have to ask why is it not fixed, surrely if you spent 11g's you would have taken insurance.
something does not add up. And cases look like more than a 5mph drop

There's definitely a lot of questions to ask which is probably why the bike isn't selling. The photo's are lousy first off, and like you said, with a brand new bike I'd be leary as to why he didn't have it repaired. I surely wouldn't bike a bike for 11 grand only to sell it for half the price. He's going to be lucky to sell it with the ad "as is". I would change those engine covers and then take some high res photos of the bike. These sellers need to realize that when your selling something that the potential buyer isn't seeing live, you have to give them the best view possible. Either that or fix the damage and get rid of the wife and have fun riding it again!!!

It's pretty clear he lowsided the bike.He probly got insurance money and pocketed it.Selling the bike without fixing it he may come out ahead.If he can find a fool to pay 5 grand for a wrecked 3 year old model.

Someone PLEASE call his cell and ask for his wife and get the REAL story!?!? LOL!!!!! Looks more than 5 mph and something firmer than gravel to me.

I can fix that bike for much cheaper with used parts. No one will ever know, LOL! I just can't fathom selling a bike in that condition. Fix it for cheap and sell! If it was only plastic damage, that would have been a much easier sell.

The engine case scrapes look more substantial than from simply gravel. I looks like it has been ground down by some substantial material - like maybe a road?

And scrapes on the fairing and radiator side support - but the turn signal is untouched? He must have replaced the turn signal...

Its a nice bike and good price but it didnt have frame roller protectors and thats way its scraped up bad for a slow low side crash.:2cents:

Well like I said before the bike has been on eBay for a while now. This is like the third time that I see it listed so there must be more to it than what he's saying. I think the pics are small and crappy on purpose to hide the extent of the damage...

Back