Western Colorado Romp July 2013

I'm going to have to add to this thread in chunks but I wanted to start posting my ride report from the trip I took last week before I forget. I had a great time, saw amazing scenery, rode breathtaking roads, hopefully captured some great video footage and took great pictures. I would say that there are a couple of roads that are on a must ride bucket list. I've watched a lot of footage of people on the Dragon and have been to SoCal canyons (need to go to SD next, which may happen in September), and would say the Colorado roads may not be as technically challenging but for the grand scale mixed in with the fact if you make a mistake you are going off a 1,000 foot edge/cliff, then it is pretty amazing.

View attachment 15424

I actually just got home from the trip. It was amazing. I just started the thread to show the route and hopefully I can get through the 7 hours of video to get some good snippets up on YouTube.

I actually just got home from the trip. It was amazing. I just started the thread to show the route and hopefully I can get through the 7 hours of video to get some good snippets up on YouTube.

Next time ya come up, give us a heads up. FYI, we also have a member in Pagosa Springs :)

I'm looking forward to some videos!

Here are some pics Finally

This is me loaded up for the trip. I had a backpack on which I later learned is no fun
View attachment 15713

First stop Flagstaff for breakfast at La Bellavia Restaurant
View attachment 15714

First night camping outside of Durango
View attachment 15715

While stopping to get gas in Glenwood Springs after an awesome ride over McClure Pass I saw a sign by the gas station I stopped at that said Doc Holiday Grave. I asked the gas station owner (I know right, the actual owner) and they said it was a 10-15 minute hike up a little bit of hill. I was dying either from the heat, being at 5,760 foot elevation, or I am that out of shape. But I got the picture of Doc Holliday's Grave "I'll be your huckleberry"
View attachment 15716

Staying at Prospector's Point Campground between Dillon and Keystone, Co
View attachment 15717

After conquering mountain passes I felt like a having a man meal, some meat, something green, a fire and a beer. Oh yeah, and don't forget the boy inside that wanted s'mores.
View attachment 15718

Moment of truth. After being hit with torrential rain, riding through a stream that had started in the road (video to come) and getting soaked all the way through I had the choice. Pack it in at the Alpine Inn
View attachment 15725

Or continue on to Cottonwood Pass, face the ominous clouds and dirt road that lies ahead. So I went for it.
View attachment 15726

Me on top of the Cottonwood Pass, elev 12,126. and no this isn't a bobble head it's my XXL head.
View attachment 15727

So Happy here
View attachment 15728

Lakeview Campground on Taylor Reserve, CO. Beautiful sunset
View attachment 15729

My home for the evening.
View attachment 15730

Last edited:
So I thought it would be cool to show all my stuff. 1 tent, 1 sleeping bag, 1 therma rest, a camp pillow all go into the duffle bag. Then 4 days of clothing change including khaki's, polo and business shoes. And my riding gear.
View attachment 15731

Then with some skillful packing
View attachment 15732

After coming down from the campground I stopped to get gas at possibly one of the coolest gas stations ever. It seems it is what happens when mountain town kids buy a gas station and make it awesome. They had stickers on everything, Colorado style. There was a beer tap and small liquor bar to go with the grill that they grilled organic local farm burgers. Food was good and the atmosphere was better.
View attachment 15733View attachment 15734

After Lake City and Spring Creek Pass I saw the following spot that looked over the Reserve that is the source of the Rio Grande. Seriously that winds all the way down to Mexico.
View attachment 15735

Panoramic shot of Wolf Creek Pass
View attachment 15736

Quick stop in Lake City, CO and heading back into the rain. It was getting cold.
View attachment 15737

Looking back up to Wolf Creek Pass from Pagosa Springs
View attachment 15738

After a long day on the road, felt the need for a night at the Inn because they offer "super clean" rooms. LOL. Also got to check out the Overlook a 3rd story geothermal tub (or hot spring on a roof top). Very awesome and great way to treat the body after riding through all the rainstorms.
View attachment 15739

On my way back, the Navajo reservation shuts down one lane of traffic when doing road repairs. At least on the way home there was decent cloud cover, the shade is worth about 15 degrees.
View attachment 15740

Eventually those clouds turned in to a wall of rain. The funny thing is that when the rain comes down it soaks you through. Then what happens is after about a half hour you dry back off from the heat and arid climate.
View attachment 15743

I had originally planned on staying in Flagstaff but there was 70% chance of rain and the ground was already wet, which equals crappy camping weather. So I shot straight home. I rode like a bat out of hell and am lucky I wasn't pulled over. I don't know how everyone else is but whenever I am coming home from a trip I just like to get it done.
View attachment 15741

And after about 1800 miles I get home. It's 100 degrees and humid from all the rain. I get inside and take off everything but some basketball shorts, then it starts to rain and I need to pull my bike in. I don't think to put pants back on, hop on the bike and while pulling it through the doorway to the covered parking spot, my toe gets caught and presses my leg into the exhaust can. Now I have a permanent reminder to ATGATT, even when parking.
View attachment 15742

Back