Well it only took me 5 months...

So after 5 months of ridding (yes, that is all) I am getting a bit frustrated with my bike now, I think that it is what you guys call the lack of torque in the midrange. So, I'm starting to think about doing the fly mod. Really what I'm wondering is why it is that when I'm at 70 or 80 and I brace myself for the huge power surge when I hit the throttle it just isn't there. Yes it accelerates, yes it's somewhat fast acceleration, but it's no blow my pants off acceleration. That is the midrange right? BTW an FZ1 is a great starter bike if you can be responsible with the throttle. I'm so glad I didn't go for the FZ6 as I originally planned.

Last edited:
So after 5 months of ridding (yes, that is all) I am getting a bit frustrated with my bike now, I think that it is what you guys call the lack of torque in the midrange. So, I'm starting to think about doing the fly mod. Really what I'm wondering is why it is that when I'm at 70 or 80 and I brace myself for the huge power surge when I hit the throttle it just isn't there. Yes it accelerates, yes it's somewhat fast acceleration, but it's no blow my pants off acceleration. That is the midrange right? BTW an FZ1 is a great start bike if you can be responsible with the throttle. I'm so glad I didn't go for the FZ6 as I originally planned.

You mean you don't get that super "kick in the pants" when your tach passes 8K? What gives??? Kick it down a gear at 70 and hit the throttle, that should take care of it for ya!

you can do the flies for free through pay it forward but to truly unlock mid range go for a quality full exhaust system. Your cheapest avenue would be a full Yoshi R77 SS/SS system for around 650.00 to 700.00. The mid range on mine is a whole lot of fun now.

What gear are you in?

Hitting the throttle at 70mph in 6th isn't going to kick you in the pants.

Drop to 4th, take it to redline, then shift to 5, redline, shift to 6... now you should be moving quick.

What gear are you in?

Hitting the throttle at 70mph in 6th isn't going to kick you in the pants.

Drop to 4th, take it to redline, then shift to 5, redline, shift to 6... now you should be moving quick.

Yeah, I think this is where the OP's problem lies as well.

If you're at 70-80 and you want FAST acceleration like the bike should be able to provide, you should be dropping 4th if not 3rd or even 2nd if you're closer to 70...

The slam-you-back power is at 8000rpm or above, so when you wanna get going quick, select a gear that puts you in that range.

I am not out of the break in period on my '09 yet, haven't broken the 7k barrier as per the manufacturers suggestion. I have been quite pleased with the power of the bike, even at the lower end of the tachometer. Great streetable power.

So after 5 months of ridding (yes, that is all) I am getting a bit frustrated with my bike now, I think that it is what you guys call the lack of torque in the midrange. So, I'm starting to think about doing the fly mod. Really what I'm wondering is why it is that when I'm at 70 or 80 and I brace myself for the huge power surge when I hit the throttle it just isn't there. Yes it accelerates, yes it's somewhat fast acceleration, but it's no blow my pants off acceleration. That is the midrange right? BTW an FZ1 is a great starter bike if you can be responsible with the throttle. I'm so glad I didn't go for the FZ6 as I originally planned.

You got it all backwards. FZ1 is by no means a starter bike. FZ1 lacks some midrange for a liter bike but with the mods it becomes better than a R1 if not at the top end.

First, if you are not feeling that "big surge", then you are not in a low-enough-gear/high-enough-RPM. If you want that feeling of the bike wanting the exit from right under you, you need to drop a couple gears and get the RPMs at about 8k THEN go WOT. Trust me, your frustrations will end abruptly. :tup:

Well I can tell you that 6th gear became a lot more usable in the 70-80 MPH range when I went with the 16T front sprocket. Now downshifting is optional unless I really need/want to accelerate. However, nothing feels as nice as a 2nd gear downshift at 70 MPH :D

I was riding home from work this morning and was checking out the RPMs at 70mph in different gears (mines stock, as far as I know).

6th - 4500
5th - 5100
4th - 6000? (can't really remember)
3rd - 7000

I didn't drop to 2nd, but it should be around the 8000 range. Keep in mind this bike will do 86mph at redline in first gear. That's where the 16t front sprocket helps. I just wish I could have a shorter 1st and 2nd, but keep 5th and 6th where they are.

Around 8-12k is where the rip your arms off power hits :wow:

Drop the front -1, and add one or two to the rear. I am going back to a 45 in the rear and using the 16 in the front personally, but the -1 front helps tremendously.

Thanks everyone, I think that's what I'm doing wrong, I am on 6th so I'll give the downshifting a go. I do think I'd rather keep my MPG where it's at now in stead of MPG decreasing mods so I think I'll just focus on the mods that don't decrease my MPG. Thanks again you guys are a very helpful bunch :tup:

Back