well damn...not running

2001 fz1 isn't running. took it on a 500 mile trip and it sounded bad as i got on the later half of it. put it up and went to start it this morning and it just turned over, but never started. leaking a lot of coolant. any ideas what's up and maybe how much to get it fixed?

Sounds to me like it may have overheated. Did you notice it getting hot or leaking any coolant while riding? And, can you determine where it's leaking? Without any more info it's hard to say how much it'll cost to repair, especially if you have a repair shop do it.

Man! What is it with these 01's lately?! This is probably the third one in the past two months.

Were you aware if the bike was leaking coolant as you were riding? Have you checked your coolant level in the canister? Once it cooled down it should have started even with a low amount of coolant. When you said it started running crappy didn't you mean like "missing" or "bogging". Maybe some bad gasoline? The overheating may have been just coincidence. We need more facts to try and even guess whats wrong.

coolant is coming from the front of the engine by the seal and by the front sprocket. when i say crappy like it started to get a deep...grinding noise. when completely stopped had to rev it all the way up to go or else it would die. i went on a 500 (total) ride. when i got to where i was going it was running bad and i let it sit for the day. went to start it the next day and as soon as i tried starting it there was a loud pop. started fine after that. ran it short distances fine and then went back home. started running crappy again about 30 mins onto the interstate (just going 70) and then when i got off 200 miles later it died at the stop light as i started to go so quickly hit the starter and started right up. got home turned it off waited about 20 mins. came out and started it back up just to make sure and again started right up. this morning went to start it. it sounded like its trying to start, just about to but just won't. so poored some coolant in (completely empty) and tried to start it and coolant started coming everywhere.

also i'm just sick and tired of this bike, i've had so many problems with it lol reminds me of my rf 900. so i'm talking with a guy right now who has a perfect 79 kz 650 with 13,000 miles and looks and runs great (already rode it) so were talking and he would be up for a strait up trade which i'm seriously considering cus i'm just done messing with this bike

Well, "deep grinding noises" and "no antifreeze" in the motor doesn't sound good. Not to mention that your coolant is leaking from the engine itself and not a broken hose. Do you remember it smoking through the exhaust when this was all happening? Check your oil and see if there is any coolant in it. You may have blown a head gasket. If so, I'm not sure about how much damage that might have caused trying to get the bike home in that condition.

Back