Weird starting issue

Fz1fighter

Weird non starting issue

Bike was cold as I left home for work, about 500m up the road it stalled, made a weird mechanical sound and now refuses to start, I get a tiny attempt to start like a click sound and then nothing. The dash goes dead, then the temp reads 'Hi'.

It was running fine earlier today. I topped up the oil when I got home, and then parked it for 6-7hrs

Last edited:
These bikes are known to sometimes eat their stator and rotor up. That would explain the mechanical noise and then no start. Other more knowledgeable people can tell you how to test if this is the case. In the meantime I would not try to start anymore. This can cause pieces of rotor magnet to get where you don't want them.

When did it make the weird mechanical sound? Before it stalled or after you stalled while the bike was moving or as you tried starting it again?

Do the dash light and headlight dim when ignition is on?

With the clicking while attempting to start and the dash lights going dead, it looks to me the battery just shit itself or a cell in the battery is stuffed. How old is the battery? a possibility the starter relay or starter solenoid also could have died or it's on their way out

Like the others have said, the stator and rotor could have died, it depends where and when this "weird mechanical noise" started.

Give us more detailed info as to what you heard, when it happened, what you saw, even what you might have smelled (burnt plastic from wiring?) It's better to start at the simple things like the battery and work your way from there.

My hats off to all auto sparkies as I hate working on electrical diagnostics!:bowdown:

The mechanical sound was as it stalled. It almost sounded like a mechanical clatter, it was maybe 1-2 seconds. You know the sound you get when someone stalls a bike because they didn't release the clutch properly??

I didn't smell anything at all.

The battery age is unknown, I've only had the bike 6 months. It's an 08, 16000km on the clock.

The dash and headlight are as bright as ever when the ignition is on.

First thing I would do is check to see if you have any codes ( try the search feature if you don't know how )

Second, have the battery load tested and see if its good.

If it turns out to be the battery .You may want to pull the stator cover and have a look before you try starting it again . Considering the noise when it stalled it's possible you have internal damage.

You could risk starting and just be ready to shut it down FAST, but the safe bet is pulling the cover and having a look.

If you have no codes and the battery tests ok it may be as simple as a loose electrical connection or bad switch.

Battery is the first place to look. The bike is 6 yrs old with low mileage. The fact that the dash goes out suggests electrical.

With only 16,000klms you would be very unlucky to be the stator/rotor, I first would be looking at the battery

I wouldn't be so sure about that, 2 reported on the other forum happened at 7000mi and 2600mi.
Granted most were higher mileage but I would not overlook the stator just because of mileage.

My local dealers mechanic told me he's done a bunch of stators for 04-06 R1's and Gen II FZ1's.

Back