Weak Link - Tool Bag

Isleoman

Site Supporter
I guess it's not just Gen 1s but most Japanese tool bags that are weak. Companies must think they are so reliable owners will never touch their tool. Made one out of ballistic nylon (Cordura) that has held up well. The other reason for it was to add a smidge more room for a standard and metric allen wrench sets. I guess you can go the tool roll idea as well. I find the bag helps hold in the small allens when they get loose.

Yes I'm scraping the barrel bottom thinking of things to post about.

a

Just saw this link, adv rider must be desperate for topics as well.
adv rider=vertical scope. The most corrupted website buying company there is. I got banned off one of their sites for calling out a guy who ripped me off.

If your on a vertical scope website (they ALL look the same) i highly suggest you delete your account and find another source of tech/info or whatever your looking for.

Not a member, just a lurker. The forum end of things seems better than front page. I've heard similar complaints about sites buyer.

Yeah all their mods are bullys. I just appreciate their bad buys, like pirate4x4. They payed mega bucks for the place, changed it to their format and lost millions. Now they have bots creating fake threads so the place looks busy. LOL

Mine didn't have a tool kit when I bought it and I have never needed it. I have thought about putting one together but have never acted on that thought.

Im thankfull for 1 tool in my fz1 tool kit. The spark plug tool. Those 2 center cylinders really need that little thing.

Mine didn't have a tool kit when I bought it and I have never needed it. I have thought about putting one together but have never acted on that thought.
I'd feel naked without the tool kit, tire plug kit and pump. The allen wrenches are useful too. Everything fits under seat.

Yeah all their mods are bullys. I just appreciate their bad buys, like pirate4x4. They payed mega bucks for the place, changed it to their format and lost millions. Now they have bots creating fake threads so the place looks busy. LOL
I have been a moderator on MTBR.com for a few decades now and that site was bough up by Vertical Scope - VS was very hands off with the Mods and relied on us to continue making decisions on how to moderate. I cannot speak for any of the other VS sites you have visited but based on my experience with the VS buyout and take over of MTRB any moderator issues on sites you visit were probably there before the VS takeover or VS has no idea and you need to report the Mods behavior to an actual VS employee. On MTBR all the Mods and the admins are volunteers - no VS employees moderate the site, but they do help out with functionality issues and bug reporting.

I guess it's not just Gen 1s but most Japanese tool bags that are weak. Companies must think they are so reliable owners will never touch their tool. Made one out of ballistic nylon (Cordura) that has held up well. The other reason for it was to add a smidge more room for a standard and metric allen wrench sets. I guess you can go the tool roll idea as well. I find the bag helps hold in the small allens when they get loose.

Yes I'm scraping the barrel bottom thinking of things to post about.
The last time I pulled my FZ1 tool kit out is when I needed the Spark plug tool - I do hate that a standard socket will not fit in the spark plug hole.

Did not notice any issues with the vinyl ripping.

I must be rough with tool bags. Or should I call them blivets (2 lbs crap in 1 lb bag).

Never had one last more than a few years on the Japanese bikes I own. Have to agree that the spark plug tool is a Godsend for the center spark plugs. Life gets easier with the removal of the AIS plumbing. I have a giant triple unit tool box full of tools at home, but I still pull out the bag of tools whenever adjusting the chain or removing the rear tire. I adjust chain on the side of the road occasionally as well.

Sometimes I know it's time to adjust the chain while I'm still at home and I just take off figuring I'll use one of my "breaks" along the way to get it done, and get off the bike for awhile.

350K miles in 20 years requires some adjustment. I'm not doing it every ride just when it's loose per the specs.

Loose to me means slapping the bottom side of the swingarm when under way

Last edited:
First bike was still running ok at 150K but using about a pint of oil between changes (3K mile intervals). Not smoking.

What made me change motors was a very low mile engine (4K) coming up on FZ1OA for $450. That was how much I had paid for my only valve adjustment, so it seemed a no brainer. Still have the original motor sitting on a pallet and I'm sure it would start up, but I keep it around for parts. That was 2016.

In 2012 I bought the spare Gen1 for $2800 with 6k miles on it from another member on FZ1OA. Never really used the spare until a few years ago.

So I got great deals on the replacement motor and the spare Gen 1 however, I bought the original bike in 2001 when they first came out and it was about $8K which was what they went for originally. So a fair deal. The two bikes are twin black 01s.

Last I heard Denise (the high mileage ace from FZ1OA) had about 300K on her original bike and motor so much more impressive feat.

Mine uses way more than a pint between oil changes. More like a quart every thousand or so miles, and I don't consider that to be excessive.

Back