Washington Nitro National Hillclimb

I just confirmed some time off during the May Long Weekend (Up here). May 16th to 21st, 2014. Just east of Yakima Washington (and north of Sunny Side) the Nitro National Hillclimb event is being held.

Link: Northwest Nitro Nationals - Event Info

I was already talking to one Washington Member about this. I am just curious if any other locals (or otherwise) will be hanging out at this on that weekend.

This is being organised by a fellow rider and for a change I don't have to be navigator. Instead I can just eat dust all day for days on end. ;) One of my off-road instructors from last year plus a guy I took my first off road trip with are organizing this.

Due to the time constraints I will have to slab it home, but picked an interesting route with a stop over in Lolo. We will average about 650 km per day.

I will be nice to have an early season trip, and all of us on larger Dual-Sport / Adventure bikes.

nw nitro national teaser 2012 - YouTube

[video=youtube;Z06AolTK8s4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z06AolTK8s4#t=46[/video]

Last edited:
Your in my neck of the woods. Richland wa is less than an hour, and YES im going. Maybe see you there?

If your into nitro hill climbs, youtube the Odessa 100. Its a HUGE 100 mile race out here that I do every year. nothing like 1000+ riders racing towards a 20 foot opening hole shot. They also do a dual sport ride the day before that I have heard great things on.

Also, going home go by Kahlotus and see Palouse Falls. One of the biggest waterfalls in Washington, and some great riding out there. Not many more miles and time added to your trip home, but well worth it.

Thanks

Your in my neck of the woods. Richland wa is less than an hour, and YES im going. Maybe see you there?

If your into nitro hill climbs, youtube the Odessa 100. Its a HUGE 100 mile race out here that I do every year. nothing like 1000+ riders racing towards a 20 foot opening hole shot. They also do a dual sport ride the day before that I have heard great things on.

Also, going home go by Kahlotus and see Palouse Falls. One of the biggest waterfalls in Washington, and some great riding out there. Not many more miles and time added to your trip home, but well worth it.

Thanks for the tips on routing and things to see. It's really the ride I'm going for, but I'm sure the hill climb will be entertaining.

I'll wear a FZ-Forum T-shirt so I'll be easier to spot. My big Orange bike (with Alberta plates) is easy to find.

@ Brian7cees, I was through your neck of the woods last summer. Great riding on the fsr around your area.

Last edited:
Weather

Will try for it again, been wanting to see this Gig for years. Thanks for the info on it Lee.

Hopefully the weather co-operates and makes it a do-able and pleasant early season ride. Taking JMundy's advice I have re-plotted my return trip to go through Kahlotus and stop at Palouse Falls. It actually dropped 5 miles off my track, but will no doubt add time (that's OK).

Do any of the locals know whether you can ride motorcycle on parts of the Columbia Plateau Trail. I would love to ride across one of the old tressles.

http://adventureawaits.com/2013/03/columbia-plateau-trail/

Last edited:
Hopefully the weather co-operates and makes it a do-able and pleasant early season ride. Taking JMundy's advice I have re-plotted my return trip to go through Kahlotus and stop at Palouse Falls. It actually dropped 5 miles off my track, but will no doubt add time (that's OK).

Do any of the locals know whether you can ride motorcycle on parts of the Columbia Plateau Trail. I would love to ride across one of the old tressles.

Discover Columbia Plateau Trail State Park

I have no clue if you can ride on the Columbia plateau trail.

I have done that same section you are doing, very nice ride!

Warning, get fuel in pasco, as there isn't much for fuel for QUITE a while

ask me how I know :rofl:

I have no clue if you can ride on the Columbia plateau trail.

I have done that same section you are doing, very nice ride!

Warning, get fuel in pasco, as there isn't much for fuel for QUITE a while

ask me how I know :rofl:

Good to know. It looked like there was a gas station in Kahlotus but it might be closed. I can make it 350 km (216 miles) with my extra fuel container. Pomeroy will be the next stop.

I would just like to ride through Tunnel #16 if I could get away with it. I just don't need any trooper trouble.

Good to know. It looked like there was a gas station in Kahlotus but it might be closed. I can make it 350 km (216 miles) with my extra fuel container. Pomeroy will be the next stop.

I would just like to ride through Tunnel #16 if I could get away with it. I just don't need any trooper trouble.

Ya I made the MISTAKE of thinking Kahlotus would have a fuel station.....

I had my light come on before pomeroy, then limped it to Connell and somehow made it. My FZ1 did get awesome MPG.

Ya I made the MISTAKE of thinking Kahlotus would have a fuel station.....

I had my light come on before pomeroy, then limped it to Connell and somehow made it. My FZ1 did get awesome MPG.

I removed the fuel stop in Kahlotus, and added one in Pasco. I just won't fuel in Sunnyside and do so in Pasco instead. I'll fill my Kolpin and should be good.

The Columbia Plateau trail website doesn't say anything about motorized vehicles except in the winter for snowmobiles which need a permit. When I'm down there I'll see what it looks like and If I can ride a section or two without getting into trouble I will. The route that I am now doing takes me along and near some of the same stuff anyway. Other than the tressels (which seem to have no railings or deck surfaces (just the rail road ties) and the tunnels the rest would be fairly boring, like most rail beds (no good curves or elevation changes for obvious reasons).

4 weeks out, I will be getting there late Friday night. I hope I-90 is open and moving as there starting that work on the tunnel. I will be in a Red F250 and Cougar Trailer. Hell, I may bring the DRZ.

Excellent

4 weeks out, I will be getting there late Friday night. I hope I-90 is open and moving as there starting that work on the tunnel. I will be in a Red F250 and Cougar Trailer. Hell, I may bring the DRZ.

My Bike should be easy to spot, including the Alberta plate. I still have every intention to be there, but with the leg there could be complications. I am incredibly stubborn so if it is possible, even if it isn't smart, I'll be there.

We should roll in around 1 pm on Saturday, stopping at the hill climb before going over to Sunnyside for the night.

Well, despite my misgivings after my initial Physio session, I think I'll be good to go in another couple of weeks. I'll admit, I'm a bit leery of putting weight on my leg yet, I'm getting braver and more mobile every day. My Riding Buddies for the trip are getting nervous and want to "chat" this weekend. I hope to be able to allay their fears, when we do. I suspect after a couple of drop-outs that the remaining 4 don't want to be stuck with bigger hotel bills than anticipated.

Although the re-hab of the ankle joint and leg is painful, it is nothing I can't bear, and it is coming along daily, with more mobility. I'll be glad when I can get back to normal, but am sure that I will be riding by the 16th. Hell of a way to start the season, and I'll still have to pack my walking cast for when I'm off the bike, but I can live with that.

I should have room for a couple of Forum T-shirts and hats. The local guys that are going should let me know their sizes and color choices and I'll pack them along.

Attachments

• Yakima trip - May 2014.gpx
    641.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back