Warrior wheels for the FZ1

Well I guess we all hear something here or there while talking to fellow entheusiasts, or seemingly 'in the know' people we come across. The day I got my FZ, the previous owner had said something which intreaged me, and that was the suggestion of using Road Warrior wheels on the FZ1. Two things became apparent to me right then, and that was that the rear Warrior wheel was using a 200 size rear, although I dont remember if it was an 18" larger wheel or the 17" which Sport bikes use, and that the front used the 17" also, (I'm pretty sure), and that the other thing if these would infact work and fit that they had a desireable 'look' to them in that they were 5 spoked, 5 thin spokes, simmilar to what Ducati's and the like are running. Now we all know that the 200 would be a 'looks' thing, because such a large rear would upset the handeling somewhat by virtue of the wider space where the transition of the lean would start, shifting the rear geometry inward from the center effectivly, and that it might make transitions from leans flickability 'side to side' slower feeling, or just plain degrading the performance. But for the touring crowd it might increase rear weight carrying capacity slightly, and you'll have to admit it would 'look' cool. So....... I was wondering if any of you had ever heard of this modification in actual useage? For those looking for the 'next' thing to do to their FZ, it might be an avenue to follow. It seems that the modification market and parts that people are buying to change around their bikes is after all a short search, rather limmited unless it's one-off components that you or your friends are fabricating personnaly. There are sufficiant items to buy to change you bike in about every way, and keep you in the poor house from month to month to be sure, but at some point 'they' become the 'usual mods' and therein it becomes 'stale' with those looking for just one more thing to do. I'm sure, in fact I know..... some of these FZ's are worth a Kings Ransom with all the performance enhancing and 'look' parts invested in, but if theres one more item, 'they'll beat a path to your door' to get it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and say NO. With a wider rim, you also have a wider center hub. The chain wouldn't line up, the brake wouldn't line up. you'd have to make new spacers for the swingarm and machine the adjusters for the larger axle. ... I mean... theoretically... it *could* be done... but *should* it? Hell no. There's no performance gain. It'd be more weight and worse handling. You'd spend well over $1k making this wheel fit with no positive benefits.

I wouldnt do it to mine, but, ......... it was more or less just a curriosity.And actually if you want to do that 200 thing it would/could be done by 'Kosman', the wheel widening guy.

I'm not one to squash ideas and customization.... I always find it interesting when people do new things to the FZ.... but for me, it's a cost vs. benefit... and IMO, I always think function over form... and the 200 on the rear would perform no function...

Whenever you want to ask "can xxxx be done" ... the answer is Yes. Look up DevilsYam ... Luke has done CRAZY things to an FZ... single sided swingarm... Buell ZTL brake rotor.... all sorts of craziness.... ANYTHING **can** be done... if you have enough money, skill and desire...

On the surface, it might sound like an interesting idea but the "bigger is better" theme has it's limits and adding width to the existing tire is one of them. The swingarm and associated fittings on the FZ1 are tight when it comes to space and adding more weight to the rear tire/wheel combo will almost surely degrade performance. A fat rear tire may look good, but the 240 I had was an awful performer and that's a polite way of saying it.

On the surface, it might sound like an interesting idea but the "bigger is better" theme has it's limits and adding width to the existing tire is one of them. The swingarm and associated fittings on the FZ1 are tight when it comes to space and adding more weight to the rear tire/wheel combo will almost surely degrade performance. A fat rear tire may look good, but the 240 I had was an awful performer and that's a polite way of saying it.

Gonna have to agree here...+1

Even though I am a NEWB here. I have quite a lot of expierience with the warrior. I am currently running a 250 kit on my warrior. What I will say is absolutely it is possible to have kossman weld up and widen the rim and build a wide wheel kit. But IMO I don't really see the gain. I did a 250 Kit on my warrior for looks. And looks alone. It does not help the handling but actually reduce handling. That's why I just bought my FZ1. But to each their own. You wanna build a Fatty rear FZ1 I would love to see pics. But to answer the original question...I am fairly certain warrior rims would not be a direct bolt on specially the rear. The front rim has a chance. But the offset of the rear wheel Is not in the ballpark.

-Z

AAAaaa, your mind gets to wandering, and goofy ideas arise. Theres alot of the streached thing going on down here in the south, mostly Busa's but other stuff has been getting sucked into the streached phat tire thing too. Thats the only thing I was thinking in context of when the thought got put to pen....

AAAaaa, your mind gets to wandering, and goofy ideas arise. Theres alot of the streached thing going on down here in the south, mostly Busa's but other stuff has been getting sucked into the streached phat tire thing too. Thats the only thing I was thinking in context of when the thought got put to pen....

I have a Busa and will never stretch it! It is enough work in the twisties now, streched would make it almost impossible! I feel that if you want a cruiser get a cruiser. Please don't turn a sport bike into a cruiser... please!

Back