Wanting Headers, but already have Slip on

So Im having a hard time just finding a site where I can pick up just headers while keeping my Akrapovic Slip on for my 08 FZ1

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

John

had the akra bazooka slip, but upgraded to the full graves. Best thing I've done; next best was 48 rear; then came Ivan's E map. Did everything else, but the graves really set the bike apart. Cost a little, but I got over it.

if you gut the cat in your oem header is there a real difference in the aftermarket? just bigger tubing maybe or is it just better all around?

Flow is everything in an exhaust system. Even though you remove the cat, the pipe is not smooth. It is truely amazing the diffrence in HP when everything is smooth and flowing. I have done alot of Dyno testing on race motors. Just a change in header collectors makes a big diffrence. Like 3 to 5 hp. Bottom line is, every weild or gap is a loss in flow. Turblance slows the flow. The faster the exhaust gets out the more you can stuff in. But it all needs to be balanced (stuff in and stuff out). Bigger is not always better. There is a trade. You do need some backpressure too. Less you've go with a turbo, then everything changes. Exhaust tuneing seems like it's so simple. But there are alot of factors going on.:nerd:

Last edited:
had the akra bazooka slip, but upgraded to the full graves. Best thing I've done; next best was 48 rear; then came Ivan's E map. Did everything else, but the graves really set the bike apart. Cost a little, but I got over it.

Is the Graves too load? I do a lot of riding, much with a passenger too. I love the look of the Graves.

if you gut the cat in your oem header is there a real difference in the aftermarket? just bigger tubing maybe or is it just better all around?

The tubing diameter is basically the same. Where you'll notice the biggest advantage with an aftermarket header is in the mid-range. On the top end a gutted stock header doesn't give up much. The mid-range loss can be attributed to the fact that it's a 4-1 as opposed to a 4-2-1.

Is the Graves too load? I do a lot of riding, much with a passenger too. I love the look of the Graves.

No, not too low for me. The short rizoma peg would hit before the can. I also love how the graves cleans up the bike. System is really light. Can't remember what it weighs now, but I STILL remember being shocked how heavy the stock system was without the akra can. Must be close to 20 pounds. Graves might be close to 8/9 pounds, but don't remember.

Also, deer hate that graves. At high rpms, the deer are clearing out before I get there. Black tail. Running AWAY from me.

So what is the purpose of removing the cat in the stock headers?, if you lose mid-range, isn't that were you want the power. I have done most of the mods and had bike dynoed 153@rear. I was tempeted to remove before dyno but never bothered, my question is do you lose mid-range?

So what is the purpose of removing the cat in the stock headers?, if you lose mid-range, isn't that were you want the power. I have done most of the mods and had bike dynoed 153@rear. I was tempeted to remove before dyno but never bothered, my question is do you lose mid-range?

You might lose a little mid-range, but you'll gain it on the top-end by gutting the header cat. A better option would be to replace the stock exhaust with a full aftermarket exhaust. This will give you the best of both worlds, better mid-range and top end.

Had a look at holeshot website, really nice stuff I do like the headers but 2 $ 4 me. I could have rearsets, quick shifter and a couple trackdays instead?

Had a look at holeshot website, really nice stuff I do like the headers but 2 $ 4 me. I could have rearsets, quick shifter and a couple trackdays instead?

I agree, but that's the price you pay when you have a low production product that's hand made. One of the reasons I went with the full R-77 exhaust from Yoshimura was the affordability of such a system. I only paid $745 for it shipped and that's because I went with the "fancy" CF muffler. The SS version can be had for less than $600...well at least here in the US.

As everyone will tell you, the place is 'Holeshot Performance' Dale walker makes just the headers, and they can be fashioned with the long pipe to fit your application if not on the shelf already. Dale is a highly 'personable' gent, with the costomers interest at heart. There on the Holeshot site you will read about the performance gains that the complete system delivers, and it's STOUT to be sure. He writes of instant first gear wheelies, initiated only with throttle, and subsequent second and third gear lofts simply by an over-active throttle hand. Now thats impressive...... But yea, their the place, I don't recall any other sources for headers at this time, as some have become obsolete with age, funny how three or four years will do that. You might......mabe find a 'full system' from one of the high $ suppliers though. but I think your likely to find 'Dale' the man in this situation.

I'll ad that I DO have a friend with the Dale Walker system on His bike. He has a Concours, but the improvement was imediate and impressive, with added miles per gallon to boot.

Back