Want to keep your hands REALLY warm? Buy bar mitts.

schleppy

In the never ending quest for warm hands come winter time, I decided to give handlebar mitts a try. These guys came out to around $25 shipped:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FB9WJO/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Black Handlebar Mitts for Snowmobiles, Motorcycles or ATV's: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Tonight I went out for a spin with them on and man, they work REALLY well. Granted it wasn't very cold tonight (40s), but with my perforated summer gloves on my hands were SWEATING. That's pretty impressive (my hands are almost always cold). It was also great to have warm hands AND have completely bar control and feel with my summer gloves. No more bulky winter gloves!

There are a few downsides though:

1.) Slipping your hands in and out isn't a quick process, so if you find yourself one-handing the bars or farting around with your helmet, etc, these may not be for you. This could also be because the fake sheep lining in mine just happened to grab my jacket/gloves particularly well. With time I bet you could get pretty quick slipping your hands in and out.

2.) At highway speeds the bar mitts tend to push themselves back onto the brake and clutch levers. Not so hard that they make the brake or clutch drag, but enough so that they felt a little odd at 60+

If I didn't commute on the highway for such a long time, I'd probably stick with these, they work amazingly well. Sadly my commute is a lot of highway, so I think I'm going to stick with my bulky, feeling-less winter gloves + heated grips for now.

If anyone wants to buy these mitts off my and give them a shot, $20 and they're yours.

Last edited:
Bar-Mitts_B.jpg

They don't look great but I bet they work

Back