Vstream windshield

I've been looking for a better windshield for long distance riding and decided the Vstream will provide the kind of wind protection I'm going to need for this summer's 6000 mile trip to Arizona. I've dealt with the west winds you can hit in the plains states before and without good protection a 500 mile day will feel like torture. I tested the Vstream a couple days ago and it does provide a huge increase in wind protection over the stock screen. It's definitely not as sporty and for short distance riding I'll still use the short shield. It's not bad looking for a touring shield and the $166 isn't all that bad.

I picked up a 28" rifle touring screen for the highway, I just haven't used it yet. I am planning a late summer tour thru the southern gulf states and will comment back then.

Vstream

Hi all,

I bought a VStream Sport Touring shield for my 2009. I've posted pix elsewhere on this site, plus it's in my avatar and profile pic.

It looks good, mounts easily and firmly, but they don't have a tinted one... Strike 1.

It purposely creates turbulence at its corners, to reduce pressure on one's shoulders. That's nice, but when riding above about 50, the turbulence hits my helmet by each ear. I tried crouching, but it's still there. It's loud, even when using earplugs and gets very annoying. Strike 2.

For reference, I'm 5'9 with a 29" inseam.

So, I just bought a Rifle 26" light-grey shield. Their service was slow. No shipment after a week, and no reply to my email about status of the order. Strike 1. when I called, the lady didn't answer 'til about the 20th ring, but then was very nice and apologetic. She told me they had just shipped the shield that day (but I found they'd charged me before shipping it). Slight mitigation of Strike 1.

The grey is VERY light. Strike 1 1/2. I might swap for the medium bronze if the shield itself is good. I'm just not sure bronze goes with an all black bike w/the aluminum or brushed S/S accents. I don't have the gold fork legs.

The construction seems good, with a special base to allow a laminar stream of air from the inside of the shield.

It's cold & rainy here, good weather for removing the VStream and installing the Rifle.

I might be getting old, but I really don't like wind blast or noise for longer trips (100+ miles, on average).

I'll let you know how it goes, w/pix.

OK, this is 5/5/11:

I got tired of the turbulent noise right at the ear-height of my helmet. Yes, I use earplugs; I tried 3 types, in fact.

So, I installed the taller Rifle. It's 26", one down from their tallest:

http://rifle.com/Yamaha FZ1 Windshield System (06-)-P2353.aspx

I got the light gray, which you can almost not see at all. But, it looks better to me than clear or bronze.

It looks just a little tour-y, but I got used to it quickly. It works quite well, esp. on those cold nights commuting home on the freeway. It's very sturdy, easy to install. The phillips screws are plastic, though, and strip easily. I emailed Rifle about that & they sent me replacement screws right away for free.

The laminar flow idea works excellently. I get a slight breeze behind the shield, which is especially nice on hot days.

A bonus is that I bought a MIVV exhaust for the bike, and the shield lets me hear the nice note without much buffet noise.

Worst thing, aside from the light tint, is that the top wobbles just a bit in gusty winds. I got used to that too, though.

So, I'm happy with the Rifle!

Last edited:
I just happened upon this old thread of mine from before I sold the FZ1. I've read many, many threads about windshields on several bikes and come to the conclusion that even with the same shield, we wll experience the wind and buffeting differently. I used my Vstream for a trip to Arizona and back and thought it did an excellent job of keeping the wind and a LOT of rain off me. I rode a couple days in pretty heavy rain and it was a heck of a lot better than a smaller shield and if a little noise was there, it wan't noticeable, at least to me at about 90-100 MPH on the interstate. I have a Zero Gravity DB now and I can tell it doesn' provide nearly as much protection but for slower speeds and around town it's OK and looks much better. It's basically where your priorities lay. You'll never get everything you want in one package.

Hi all,

I bought a VStream Sport Touring shield for my 2009. I've posted pix elsewhere on this site, plus it's in my avatar and profile pic.

It looks good, mounts easily and firmly, but they don't have a tinted one... Strike 1.

It purposely creates turbulence at its corners, to reduce pressure on one's shoulders. That's nice, but when riding above about 50, the turbulence hits my helmet by each ear. I tried crouching, but it's still there. It's loud, even when using earplugs and gets very annoying. Strike 2.

For reference, I'm 5'9 with a 29" inseam.

So, I just bought a Rifle 26" light-grey shield. Their service was slow. No shipment after a week, and no reply to my email about status of the order. Strike 1. when I called, the lady didn't answer 'til about the 20th ring, but then was very nice and apologetic. She told me they had just shipped the shield that day (but I found they'd charged me before shipping it). Slight mitigation of Strike 1.

The grey is VERY light. Strike 1 1/2. I might swap for the medium bronze if the shield itself is good. I'm just not sure bronze goes with an all black bike w/the aluminum or brushed S/S accents. I don't have the gold fork legs.

The construction seems good, with a special base to allow a laminar stream of air from the inside of the shield.

It's cold & rainy here, good weather for removing the VStream and installing the Rifle.

I might be getting old, but I really don't like wind blast or noise for longer trips (100+ miles, on average).

I'll let you know how it goes, w/pix.

Nice write up. Yes-do let us know your thoughts on the Rifle after extended use. Thanks.

Update on FZ1 Windshields

Sorry 'bout the delay. I actually sold the FZ1 on a whim after a "nice" stop by a CHP on a hot Beemer. It might've been my grey hair (I took my helmet off) or my "just having prayed" smile (I often give thanks while riding), but he just gave me a kind verbal for 20+ over. Might've been an angel, as I turned to watch him ride off & he wasn't there any more. ;)

I put the FZ1 on consignment that day; it sold quickly.

I was without a bike for a while, then got the bug again... of course! Bought a used 2006 VFR (too "whaley") then an 08 Tuono... "too many notes" as in Amadeus.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoY0Qa0zU0A]Amadeus - 4decaca Movie Quotes - YouTube[/ame]

Then, I tried a smaller Ninja 650, to save gas. Lots of cost-cutting in what was a good design. Not enough oomph, though not bad.

Had the 650 in for its first service and saw... an all-grey FZ1! Haha! That's the color I had really wanted when I bought the 2009 two-tone in my thumbnail (for now). So, I instantly came back onto this board!

So, I really don't have much to add re: The Rifle. My comments above are still valid as to its being better than the others I tried. I do remember its wiggling some at the top as one rode. If I get another Rifle, I'll get a shorter one, I think 24" high. This guy looks like he got the 28", though he says it's a 24:

Rifle Windshield on 2006 (2nd Gen) FZ1 - PICS - FZ1OA Message Board

I had the 26" one last time. It was a bit too much length with no support, hence the edge of it wobbling at speed.

I really did like the block they give you to put between the original windshield mount and the Rifle. It re-angles their windshield further back. That makes it a bit more streamlined and less of a "brick" to the wind. It also spaced the shield about 1" away from the fairing, to allow a laminar flow of wind inside the shield, but parallel to the outer stream. This is what the Calsci attempts to do, but according to Forum reviews, it doesn't seem as effective.

So of the ones I tried: Vstream = too turbulent & not tinted, Laminar Lip, OK but not enough difference from stock, Zero Gravity, too turbulent at my face level, and Rifle = Pretty good, but this time I'll get the 20" one.

Ironically, I rode the new/used 2008 home in 47F windy rain. With the stock shield, it wasn't too bad! I think this is due to my "training" with the stock, tiny Tuono screen. In that case, a Laminar Lip was just the thing! But, one's entire body is exposed to wind and buffeting on that Tuono.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
National Cycle's V-Stream not good on the Gen 1 FZ-1

Last October I saw a review on the V-Stream in one of the cycle magazines which had pictured the larger FJ1300. "Assuming" the entry angle on the FZ was similar I ordered the oversize one for my '04 and rode from Charlotte to Beaufort, SC for a long weekend. When I got back 4 days later I was just about deaf even though I had custom fitted earplugs. The design may work great on the more upright FJ but on the more angled FZ screen I found that it seemed to perfectly direct the wind into the bottom of my helmet rather than away as advertised. I called National Cycle, explained what seemed to me to be a design flaw needing correction and thankfully was able to return it (with no new scratches, etc.) but paid shipping and a restocking fee of 20%. It was a costly lesson (my hearing 6 months later is "better"). Am now very much appreciating the replies on this thread. Thanks forum members!

Back