Visor colors?

I'm waiting for my HJC to come and it comes equipped with a clear visor. Since I live in AZ where sunshine is a constant I'm not so sure it's right.

I see there are options such as smoke or a bunch of iridium colors, but I'd like to know more before the purchase.

I'm new to the street so would like to here some opinions. Thanks.

I rode from Michigan to Lake Havasu in June and had a mirror shield on. It's great in the sun, especially if it's in your face, but when the sun begins to set and the dark starts to settle in my Mirror shield is way too dark and I have to lift it to see where in the heck I'm going. Soon after returing home I put my clear back on. One trick you can use is to get some dark film and just come down an inch or so from the top to protect from the sun like many automobiles do.

I know you have an HJC on the way, but you might want to consider a helmet with a flip down visor like on the Scorpion EXO-1000. Then you never have to worry about it getting dark with a dark visor. You can just flip it up or down depending on how bright it is out. It's a feature I have learned I cannot ride without.

I have the same problem with my Bell. My eyes are very sensitive to light so I was tired of using glasses all the time under the helmet. I picked up a dark smoked shield and love it during the day. However, once dusk comes, I too can't see where I am either! They should make a shield that changes automatically between light and dark, if they already don't have one. It sucks having to tote around the clear shield if I'm gonna be out late.

I know you have an HJC on the way, but you might want to consider a helmet with a flip down visor like on the Scorpion EXO-1000. Then you never have to worry about it getting dark with a dark visor. You can just flip it up or down depending on how bright it is out. It's a feature I have learned I cannot ride without.

Now thats nice! I'll have to check that one out.

I have the same problem with my Bell. My eyes are very sensitive to light so I was tired of using glasses all the time under the helmet. I picked up a dark smoked shield and love it during the day. However, once dusk comes, I too can't see where I am either! They should make a shield that changes automatically between light and dark, if they already don't have one. It sucks having to tote around the clear shield if I'm gonna be out late.

They make a shield just like you want for Akuma helmets:

Akuma Sun Shift Full Face Visors - Automatic Tint & Clear Visors

Bummer I didnt know that! That sounds like the deal or the other visor that tints automatic.

All good info.

They make a shield just like you want for Akuma helmets:

Akuma Sun Shift Full Face Visors - Automatic Tint & Clear Visors

Thanks for the link Tony. It's almost time for a new lid anyway. I'd like to be able to find a Snell Approved Helmet though since we asked at Englishtown last week and they will only allow Snell Approved for bike that run under 14 seconds. I want to have that in case I decide that I want to run the 1/4 next Spring. It's something that I always wanted to try before I "kick off".

Thanks for the link Tony. It's almost time for a new lid anyway. I'd like to be able to find a Snell Approved Helmet though since we asked at Englishtown last week and they will only allow Snell Approved for bike that run under 14 seconds. I want to have that in case I decide that I want to run the 1/4 next Spring. It's something that I always wanted to try before I \\"kick off\\".

Well hold off for a little bit on your helmet purchase. There is a new standard coming out soon (Snell 2010), which I hear is similar to the European standard, so those non US helmets might become Snell 2010 certified as well.

I just watched a YouTube video through CycleGear reviewing the above Scorpion EXO-1000. What a nice helmet! It's also on sale at CycleGear for 10 to 25 dollars less than what they are going for on EBay. I love the quick change visor and the fold down tinted shield. Check out the video......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYl3DdBBfo]YouTube - Scorpion EXO-1000 Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Cycle Gear Review[/ame]

They are really nice helmets. Ive had my EXO-1000 for a year now and love it. However, compared to a Shoei or an Arai, these helmets are quite heavy. But for 1-3 hundred bucks less, the extra pound is not so much an issue.

Track days, passes on the drag strip -- might start shopping for some leathers/boots, or something equalivalent that is approved.....

I dawned the leathers on a ride last Monday, and the only issue I may have (course I already have an issue with the left leg that I have to have revisited by the Doc) was the room in the knee area. A bit snug....not completely uncomfortable, but really noticed when you are in stop/go situations....

Adam

A shield that changes like eye glasses would be a great idea. I'm not sure how much it would add to the cost, but I'd sprout for one if it wasn't more than an extra $100. There must be a reason no one has come up with that. Unless they have.

Am using a Nolan N103. There is a built in sunglass inside the helmet that you can lower with a switch on the side.

Have to say that I find it ideal and never have to worry that it might get dark or that the sun might statr shining.

I just got my HJC CL-SP yesterday and I ordered the smoke shield. I've always used a smoke shield (I think light smoke). I rode with the clear shield first and I wear transitions lenses in my glasses. The lenses changed with the clear shield but they don't change with the clear Icon replacement shield. Not sure about the HJC smoke shield but I will try tomorrow and let you know if interested.

16051_2.jpg

Also, I've seen a smartly placed piece of duct tape across the top of the shield work as a sun visor.

I have an HJC-IS16, which includes a flip down visor like those Scorpions, only lighter.

I don't find that the shield is dark enough though and I think I am going to go to a light smoke on the outer shield.

Talked to the guy out here that runs a place called Helmet Harbor, he advised against smoke shields. He said they scratch easy and when you get bugs on the shield, the acidity of their bodies will take some of the mirror finish off.

As Dark as I can Get

Spring is here so I dusted off this old thread.

I just bought a new helmet and did not even leave the store with the clear visor on it. The plastic will stay on until I need it on a roadtrip sometime. My eyes are light sensitive and the darker the visor the better. I have always used the darkest visors that Shoei sells on all 4 of the helmets over the years. I have never had any issues with scratching or problems with cleaners or bug guts ruining the finish. I switched last year on my old RF-900 to a mirrored lens (chrome look) and it worked well for keeping light levels down but worked better in the darkness of my morning commutes.

Most of the time when I commute it is in slow traffic and I just keep the visor up in the dark. This is only an issue in the spring and fall when the days are shorter and I am going to work in the dark.

Over time the finish which sheds water extremely well when new tends to lose that ability, so more frequent replacement is probably a good idea if you tour or ride in all weather.

I returned to the Dark visor for cost consideration on the new RF-1100 even though I really wanted the Gold Chrome visor. The cost up here was near $100.00 for the Gold Chrome and because it is a new design I hope that the price will have dropped by the time that I require a replacement.

As a side note; I always travel with the clear visor in case of unplanned extra long days that see getting to destination after dark.

DarkVisor.jpg

I use the Shoei Blue Spectra Shield, it is pretty spendy; however, I use it day and night without significant issues.

As an added bonus... it looks good too!

Back