Valve Clearance Pointers

sigin

I'm planning to get my Valve Clearance done, the bike is at 50,000 Km. :)
Is there anything specific to our bike that needs to be kept in mind when doing the Clearance? Couldn't find anything in the Service Manual.
The bike is currently running fine. Just following the Manual.Is there anything that I needs replacement in this area?
Do we need to replace the timing chain or will adjustment be enough?

Cheers,
Sigin.

I don't have anything in the manual - other than telling me to take it to a Yamaha Dealer.
The Yamaha dealers in this part of the world are crap.

You usually need nothing beside slim feeler guages and shims. The service manual is very much needed though some points are not required when adjusting the valves. I would not remove the lower timingchain cover but just the central plug. Ah I just did it last week but took no pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you Dreamdemon. Did you had to do clearance on all the valves?
Dustin, where do I get the Service Manual. Buy it online?

Cheers Buddies.

The first time I had to do 3 valves this time one. All were exhaust valves but my previous bike needed 6 valves adjusted, it really depends on the bike and how much high rpms you are doing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Cool stuff Dreamdemon. I will have my bike checked out. Did you have to do anything on the timing chain? Thanks a lot again.
Meanwhile I will get the Service Manual.

Cheers,
Sigin.

Great - I just ordered the Service Manual. Will post updates when I start with the valve clearance. Can you tell me where I can order valve shims?

Back