Valve Clearance - Exhaust

NAPA121

Guys,

Can someone help me please?

We are just checking the value clearances on my 2010 FZ1-n and 7 out of the 8 exhaust valve clearances are out of spec. The clearances are:-

3 x 0.15mm
1 x 0.16mm
2 x 0.18mm
1 x 0.20mm

The sheet states 0.21mm to 0.25mm so we potentially are having to change 7 shims.

What is the minimum clearance you would tolerate before changing a shim?

When would you remove the camshaft sprocket bolts?

Before aligning crankshaft and camshafts or after?) I cant see how you can remove the camshaft sprocket bolts after alignment.

Any help gratefully received as the bike it currently in bits and i'm getting nervous.

Cheers guys
Neil

Line up everything before desassembly. Crank at TDC mark and cams too. Remove chain tensionner then remove the camshaft you need to adjust. Before putting the tensionner in make sure you crank it back in (if hydraulic like mine)

Check, double check... then triple check the timing mark before trying to start the bike. Turn the engine by hand few time too.

I'm sure someone can guide much better here with better knowledge of the FZ1.

Cheers for the reply...So we are going ahead with the shim replacement as might as well whilst the cover is off and the bike is in pieces.

Worked out the relevant clearance calculations and decided what shim sizes we needed to get so popped to the dealer. Strange...even though the bike was supplied with individual numbered shims 182, 179 etc the replacement shims supplied by Yamaha only go up in 5s...170, 175, 180 etc...Very strange as to maximise tolerance we needed odd number shims???

Anyway..Shims ordered and although they wont be the max tolerance with the closest 5 number shim they will be well within book tolerance so we should be good.

I just have to figure out how to get the tensioner back in correctly to actually tension the cam chain as when we put it back to test getting the headers off we struggled to get the chain tensioned for some reason? but we'll tackle that when the shims arrive i suppose.

Anyway...learnt a lot today...Having a go at doing it yourself is a pain in the arse but rewarding all the same :)

On my 6R, I need to out the valve cover bolts back in without the cover. If you dont block them the oil piss out and it doesnt buit psi to pop the chain tensionner out. I was holding the chain guide with a screw driver and turning the engine by hand few turn. When I was sure ( still holding the chain guide) I hit the starter to turn the engine over until the oil pressure push the tensionner out... But still, might be different on the FZ1.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply..

Does anyone know what is the correct way to re-install the camchain tensioner and get it to tension the chain without the engine running on a FZ1? I think it uses oil pressure to tension, but want it fully tensioned before starting the engine!

Cheers

Has anyone actually changed the Shims on an FZ1 or experienced valve burnout?

Maybe I should have ignored the valve clearance being out of tolerance?

I would be really double checking the clearances,make sure you are correct,the clearance is a tight fit on feeler gauges,I have seen some feeler gauges that are not accurate,check with a good quality micrometer

When you changed your shims how did you tension the cam chain?

When cranked clockwise the chain seems tensioned but when cranked anti-clockwise the chain went slack.

Is this normal?

Is it true the cam chain tensioner only works properly when it has oil pressure on it?

Last edited:
Most timing chains & belts with auto tensioners will go slack when cranked anti clockwise ..manufactuers do not reccomend you do this for risk of chain / belt jumping a tooth , as you say the tensioner will only work correctly when pressurized & will then hold its pressure as is the engine designed to operate in one direction

When you changed your shims how did you tension the cam chain?

When cranked clockwise the chain seems tensioned but when cranked anti-clockwise the chain went slack.

Is this normal?

Is it true the cam chain tensioner only works properly when it has oil pressure on it?

yes that is normal, the tensioner works only in one direction. I do not know if he needs oil pressure, in my case the chain was tens when reinstalling the camshafts and I just checked the alignment of the camshafts and the timing chain (marked it with white paint before removing in addition to the marks).

Back