Valve Adjusting on the C14

So I brought the C14 in for the 15,000 mile service (it's actually got close to 16 grand on it. The cost: about $450-$500 and that's with "the old labor rate of $69/hr vs. the new rate of $81 and a little friendly discount. I do love this dealership and they've been very fair to me so I trust them implicitly. The mechanic, who I have gotten to know well says he practically has to get into the middle of the engine to do this on the C14, especially with all the plastics having to come apart and it will take him most if not all the day to do the job.

So I guess my question is: Why don't they make bikes with self adjusting valves like on my friends old Honda Night Hawk. I remember when he and I were at the Triumph dealership and the owner, a very knowledgeable man, explained why more bikes don't have it and most of it had to do with better performance on the bikes that needed regular valve adjusting intervals. Can someone here explain it to me again?

Not a good enough gearhead to explain why no self adjust valves other than to say I'm sure it has to do with performance.

FYI - the FJR has a 26k valve adjustment :shine: Gotta love Yamaha!

That is what I heard about the maintenance on the C14 being a big detractor to a otherwise stellar and probably the best sport tourer out there. I am probably going to add one next year to the stable.

Norm, I think it has to do with high revving and performing engines especially I4s. Buell's push-rod sportster engines also have self adjusting valves and they redline at 6.5k. I am not sure whether the Rotax 1125 engines have self adjusting valves too. But I have seen this more a trait with vtwins than I4s

There is no such thing as self adjusting valves. There are however, Hydraulic Lifters; The lifters run on the cam and work the push-rods. Hydraulic lifters are "kind of" self adjusting. It's only within a certain range and you have to get them close. A hydraulic lifter has four parts; the body, the plunger, small (internal) spring, and a retaining clip. If you look at the side of one, you will notice that there is a small hole. It's through this hole that oil is fed under pressure!

Makes sense as engines that require tighter clearances than most, the hydraulic lifters can't compensate for that.

Last edited:
Yea, it all has to do with the higher revs that most modern motorcycle engines are capable off. Hydraulic (self-adjusting) lifters are only usually good to about 6.5-7k RPM in cars and a little higher in bikes (since they have smaller valves). Heck even NASCAR engines that spin to over 9k RPM use solid lifters that require very precise adjustment.

Norm, am not able to see any of your videos.

I'm sorry. I'll try to upload it to another intermediary.

BTW, I just got the bike back. They took off another $100 for "good guy" discount. I love these guys. $430 and a day and a half work. There is absolutely no question the bike rides better now. Faster and more responsive without any doubt in my mind.

Back