V-Stream tested in the rain... oops

I purchased a V-Stream shield from GPz1100 :tup: (thanks). It is a large screen, and even though it's still warm around here, I wanted to try it out, so I put it on the Beast. I took it out for a 5 minute ride, and found the wind hit me about chin bar/visor of my RF-1100 (I'm 5'11") and avoided most of my shoulders. It also allowed less wind on my hands, but didn't stop it all. It looks like a great shield for long rides and cool-cold weather.

My first 'real' opportunity to ride with the V-Stream came on Tuesday evening on my ride into work (I work 7pm to 7am, but usually do more like 6pm to 6am). I have a 30 minute drive one way to work. I checked Weather.com and found a 10%-20% chance of rain from 6pm to 7am. Golden chance to save a bit of gas and have a nice ride on the Beast!... wrong :( about halfway to work, I see some very dark clouds that look like they are dumping buckets of rain and there's lightening all around too. I almost turned around and went back home to get the truck, but I thought I'd trust Weather.com LOL :tdown: As it turned out, my eyes were a better judge of the weather. Ten minutes from work, I hit the downpour. No raingear, soft bags on, not good. At first I thought I'd make it with just my right pants leg wet from the knee down, but that didn't work out. I started riding faster to try to get out of it. When I glanced down, I noticed a 99 on the gauges. :wtf: I now have a lot of confidence in the PR3's. They worked awesome, but I never intended to do that. :shame:

As far as the V-Stream goes, my chest was totally dry and only my right shoulder got a little wet. I think the wind must have been coming from my right. I did tuck in some, but it was still better than the giant Rifle screen that came on my bike. I've been caught in the rain with it too. My gloves got mildly wet, my shoes were soaked and both legs from the knees down were soaked (like I had waded across knee deep water). I had a damp spot on the back of my waistline and as I said, all but my right shoulder made it dry. Even my soft bags came out fairly well. I've been afraid to ride to work the rest of the week.

I just wanted to give a report on the shield. In comparison, the wind from my Zero Gravity Double Bubble hits me mid chest and has some buffeting at speeds above 80, with the ZG Sport Touring, the wind hits me about the neck to shoulders with very little buffeting, and with the V-Stream it's into the chin bar of the helmet and with it wider at the top, it keep the wind (and rain) off my shoulders with very little buffeting. I'm very happy with these 3 shields. They give me a great variety to choose from depending on the weather. If I had to pick just one, the ZG ST would be the easy choice, but I like having all 3.

EDIT: I'll try to add some pictures in a few days. I'll take a few on the bike and then some comparison shots of all the shields.

Here's a shot of what a VStream looks like on an FZ1 if you don't know
ztc_N20303_VStream_FZ1_C_motoraid.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of those huge mofos on my Gen 1 and I experienced the same sort of thing. It sure was good for keeping the winter cold off! :)

Looks like it did you more good than me [sitting in a bikeless garage] :). I've been caught in the rain a few times with the puig touring, but never with the vstream. Mainly used it only during colder temps, and cold+rain=bad combination.

There's several shields out there that are advertised as Puig touring. This is the specific one I'm referring to. Taller and wider than stock, perfect for summer.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9526/allwr.jpg

PUIG9622.jpg

PUIG3961.jpg

Last edited:
I got the exact same screen just it's branded National Cycle and I ordered Z-techiek brand ... anyway best touring screen I got..

200kmph in light rain .. no preblemo

Back