Utilizing the O2 sensor with a power commander?

Do you still use your O2 sensor along with the PC?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

speeddemon2588

Hello Everyone. I have a question, how many of you left your O2 sensor connected when you installed your power commander? Results? I ask because I have been having a hell of a time dialing in my maps for temp changes. Since the PC does not measure manifold pressure the maps can't compensate for pressure changes due to temp. If my understanding is correct the PC is intermediate from the ECM to the injectors, it holds the injectors open/closed based on the map and input from ECM. If that is right then the O2 sensor would still be a vital piece in the system. Regardless of what mods you have the O2 would tell the ECM if you're running rich/lean then the PC would adjust as necessary before the injectors received the signal. I just finished the EXUP delete using an RC circuit (Thanks to Cmarques)and while I was down there I decided to connect the O2 sensor again, from the short 10-15 mile ride I notice the bike felt "smoother" throughout the range. This could be the placebo effect, so please weigh in and correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I definitely noticed a difference in the closed loop area, and my mpgs went up. I'm still having trouble with overfueling off idle to about 1750 rpm when it's cold. Otherwise she pulls like a freight train. Besides the cold running overfueling I think I am happy. I'll be keeping an eye on the plugs to look for any issues.

I still have a problem from idle to 1800rpm at 100%. However it goes away once the bike reaches 165 degrees F. Since I'll never be at 100% throttle in that area during real world riding, I'm not worried about it. The map works well all the way to redline otherwise. :rmwl:

I tried this out last night and am quite pleased with the result. Smoother than before.
Then again, i am running the stock air box and am having trouble finding a good map for it. Im not sure if it will go too lean with a cut airbox

I tried this out last night and am quite pleased with the result. Smoother than before.
Then again, i am running the stock air box and am having trouble finding a good map for it. Im not sure if it will go too lean with a cut airbox

I have similar problems in cold temps, however it depends rather on air temp (intake temp) than engine temp, so these are correlate.

If you zeroed all entries in the closed loop area than you are good to go and the bike will not run lean. In the closed loop area the ECU will correct the AFR until it is within specs. I am currently running this setup as well because in the SF Bay area it is always cool when at the ocean.

No the AFR is not optimal and but you will not run really lean. However I do not know the details about the ECU maybe the correction are limited that can be applied by it. However I have an exhaust and K&N filter and the bike was lean before adding a PCV between 3500 rpm and 6000n rpm when closing the throttle completely now with the PCV I add in the 0% column just 2% and everythings runs very nice. When disconnecting the O2 sensor and loading the full map the bike pulls much better in warm ambient weather but does not when it is cold.

Back