Using Your Bike to its Full Potential Part 2

Ridges

few days ago I was talking to Norm and Johnny,explaining my abstinence crisis made from staying here in brazil with my bike on sale in Italy..here winter,there spring..I asked to my friends that never talk about theirs bike's week end to don't loose my envie control.. Fz1-forum really help me in this situation..Writing on Norm post I remembered an event that fit on this thread: 20km from Reggio Emilia center,at the beginning of Appennino Reggiano there's a place called Il Monte,a restaurant/bar with a great parking that is the meeting point of all the bikers from reggio and nears cities. On a normal spring/summer saturday never pass from there less than thousand bikes and if you stay for a coffee in front of you 200 bikes minimum..if a new bike came on market today,for sure you can see it on Monte saturday. I saw everything there: F4 gold series like candy..desmo16RR,Vmax1700,bimota full carbon..but my favorite was an rg500 totally rebuild with aluminium set chassis and back asymmetric back double arm made from Golinelli,replic of Schwantz rgv500gamma..the sound..poppy guys but remembering I'm having in erection!! A lot of people bands to Monte just to show his bike..but from monte you can chose 2 roads that are ours training's roads: one faster with some straight pieces and east curves,goes to passo Civago. The other,slower and more technical, with no straight parts,a countinous series of small curves,that goes to passo del Cerreto. On saturday,no cars,no bicyclettes,no people,no police,no radars..only roads and bikes..an heaven for bikers were you can see doing things that without seeing you can't belive..and at the end of summer
the medium is a died biker for week..but this is another thread.. On that roads is easy meet bikers that never rides out Reggio on all his life but on that roads can go as fast as you can't imaging.. Was a very hot saturday on end of 2006 july ..moust part of my friends far for holiday. Were's only me and Fabrizio called Picchio(woodpacker). Carpenter, 50yo,married with child,with great body(I was freelance on gym that year so great parts of my bikers friend were interest in bodybuilding to). On that roads from he was a child. One of the biker that never ride on other roads. Whe chose the cerreto road,the more technical. He was on yamaha xt660,the road's tires version,with akra slip on only. I was on fz6..probably the slower bike that I ever use on that road(my fz1 is incredible only a little bit slower than my rgv250 that was the fastest bike that I used on that road),but no excuses..with ever type of bike for me is impossible go as fast as Picchio..
Whe was going with a good pass,he was in front of me but I knowed that if he improved my limit comes quick.. 15km to go there is the only cross road of the trip and coming from there 2R1,a gixxer and a blade..4 bad guys in leather suite..Picchio improve to stay first and my temptation was great but I promised to my wife,my family and to me:no stupid things on the road..so I stay watching from a privilege position.. The 1000cc sound was terrible! Was like look a fox hunt!Picchio sit immobil without using gears just touching ground with steps..the guys using gearbox countinously and moving bodies out of bikes! The gixxer goes straight on a curve..luckely no one comes from other side! Than he comes slowly with me.. Arrived on top Picchio was sitting waiting a coffee wile the guys were parking..than everybody around the Xt looking for some special stuff that can explain that loosing moment..when I passed near guys I sad:''the special part is there waiting for a coffee'';-) 43hp vs 650hp..
Just to tell you a story of a normal saturday afternoon.

Man that's AWESOME! I love riding with people who are better/faster than me. You are right, the temptation is to push yourself to keep up. I used to ride with a guy and his wife. They rode an FJR and always looked like one person when we got to the twistiest roads. I just got the FZ1 and back on the road after at least two years of illness. My bike before that was a VX800 that handles like a truck compared to the FZ1. It's because of that guy that I got faster. When we started riding together I had to let them get far ahead of me but the last time we rode together I was in their wake. I used to wish that someone who could ride the fz1 better than me could ride with us so they can see what the bike could do. Now I wish I can ride with them so they can see what I can do. But we are on separate paths that never cross anymore.

Best ride was with a pack of FJR guys. On a really techical road, one guy left us. I though the others were fast but this guy was faster. He's like 7ft tall and makes the FJR look like a 250! when we got to the end of the road, he was standing in the street waving at us so we'd know he was stopped.

Sometimes just knowing where your potential is can be thrilling enough.

can run free without looking at the limits or at the traffic,people,road's problems ecc..trying go faster than friends running with you must be fantastic but on the road is impossible..maybe possible but dangerous like play at russian roulette:-( I'm waiting for my pc came back from assistence..inside I've got a power point slide that I want show on fz1-forum..are images of a spanish rider but can fit on any country.. Are photo shut after a crash with an R1 on a road with guard rails on side..the bike is a puzzle but the guy to is on 4 differents parts:-( I can't risk showing to my wife a scene like that with starring her husband. Riding is amazing and I can't stay without it but tracks are everywhere so whe must resist to the temptation of a street race..not for us but for people that love us..

Replying to the original post by Ridges I've had the same type of experiences. There are the old guy's, the guy's that really know the road and the guys that ride with recluse abandon. The old guys that are fast and are still here know the balance of speed and limits to make it to being a old fast guy. Then there is the guy who knows the road who can show you what he knows but may not be the fastest out side of his area. Ten there is the recluse who can be extremely fast and ride without limit on the street but usually does not make it to be a old fast guy. I've had the pleasure of riding with a old fast guy since I was 20, now i'm 41 and he's 62 and still faster. Jimmy is one of the fastest guys I've ever seen on the street. A few weeks ago he went down for the 5th time in 10 years. Luckily he were full gear and injuryies were relatively minor bike totaled.

Public roads are a dangerous place to display bravado but we still do it. There is a time and place for every thing and hopefully we enjoy ourselves at the right times.

Back