Usage Based Insurance, Coming Soon?

Ruggybuggy

We may all be riding scooters soon. They are talking about implementing usage based insurance in Ontario. Basically to get motorcycle insurance you have to have a little black box installed on your bike that tells the insurance company how you've been ridding. It measures thing like acceleration, g's, and mileage and location to adjust your rate for risky behavior. So you basically pay to play.

Telematics

Here is a link:

Car-tracking device could lower premiums, insurers claim - Business - CBC News

Even though I am a responsible driver, (as in) rarely speed on public roads, I hate the idea. Very Orwellian ( The book 1984 and the notion of Big Brother). We seem to give up more and more personal choice for the "greater good" and have it fed to us with the line (Lie) "it will save us money".

Saskatchewan was thinking about arbitrarily instituting this, but the push back from the motorcycle community stopped it in it's tracks for the time being. Mainly because it was only going to be Bikes. Very discriminatory policy that would have ended in a court battle. Link to the volunteer Pilot program: SGI revs up usage-based motorcycle insurance pilot - Regina | Globalnews.ca

The propaganda: SGI Motorcycle Pilot | Powered by Baseline Telematics

The system is supposed to track hard acceleration, braking, speed, lean angle. For a dual-sport or sport bike it would undoubtedly spell higher rates. Might as well get a Rukus or a Fatboy Hog. Where is the puking smiley when you need it?!

Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me - YouTube

Last edited:
It's a sad time we live in. Technology has come around to bite us in the ass. We are our own worst enemy. I know they already have that "Good Driver" box that Progressive hands out for cars that people use to "Lower Their Rates". I just think it's a way of keeping track of you. Some people that had that box told me that it's almost impossible to meet the parameters the box is set for. Hopefully if they make this box thing mandatory for cyclists, some tech guy will come up with some electronic doo-dad to piggyback onto it to trick it into thinking we're all very reserved riders! :sinister:

In that same article in Cycle Canada, it also said there would have to be geo-fences set up for things like track days, and dual purpose bikes...So rates wouldn't be affected...Still hate the idea, guaranteed to kill the sport if it comes to fruition

My buddy has the progressive box. It measures hard braking and number of miles driven, no acceleration or g forces. He got it because he got a dui (he's since quit drinking period)
It is pretty ridiculous how granny like you gotta hit the brakes for the thing to not freak out.
Another downfall of it is if you are accelerating up a hill and start losing traction when the traction control kicks in it will set the box off...

I think it's crap and they offered it to me on my bike. I said no (they'd probably raise my rates after it.)

It would be much easier if you had one installed in a car to drive conservatively. I actually drive my vehicles almost granny like but when it comes to the bike it's a different story. I'm not unsafe but when the situation allows I open it up. Imagine having in the back of your head that everytime I cracked the throttle someone was going to vacuum out my pockets. Who decides what's is "good conduct" while riding a bike.

It would be much easier if you had one installed in a car to drive conservatively. I actually drive my vehicles almost granny like but when it comes to the bike it's a different story. I'm not unsafe but when the situation allows I open it up. Imagine having in the back of your head that everytime I cracked the throttle someone was going to vacuum out my pockets. Who decides what's is "good conduct" while riding a bike.

Exactly! Who decides what? If it's anything like the parameters in the box they use in the car forget about it! You'd have to ride around like a scooter all day to not trigger the box. Ridiculous, totally!

If the insurance companies spent more time cracking down on scammers and deadbeats which isn't all that hard if you actually did some investigative work, they wouldn't have to take these idiotic measures.

The system is supposed to track hard acceleration, braking, speed, lean angle. For a dual-sport or sport bike it would undoubtedly spell higher rates. Might as well get a Rukus or a Fatboy Hog

If it tracks hard braking and lean angle then even my scooter is out of the picture. I take corners with reckless abandon on that thing

Driving conservative is one thing but that makes you drive like a f-tard. I drove his car with it on I was slowing down for my drive and downshifting to slow it and use the brakes less it still flipped out. I was like Wtf that wasn't hard braking at all. It would flip out every time I rolled up to a light or sign in my rig. You need to start stopping a vw gti about as far back as one would normally start a stop with a 50,000 load on a truck to not have it trigger the box.

Over here you can easily spot the cars who have the black box ...they drive slower than amish buggys and usually in the left hand lane, to piss off drivers who have places to get to.

I have the perfect piece of "hardware" to piggyback onto the blackbox!

41capNwnB2L._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
Over here you can easily spot the cars who have the black box ...they drive slower than amish buggys and usually in the left hand lane, to piss off drivers who have places to get to.

I have the perfect piece of "hardware" to piggyback onto the blackbox!

41capNwnB2L._SY300_.jpg

That's every single Subaru wagon here... It's like a tree hugger paradise around here, and they all have some kind of lets all get along sticker on them.

Sure we can get along as long as you get the hell outta my way.

Back