Upgrading from GEN I to GEN II

I am considering selling my Gen I FZ1 to buy a Gen II. I really like the idea of FI.
And the new frame looks great on the Gen II's.

Looking to hear something about why it might not be a good idea? Or is it a no brainer?

thanks in advance

I have no knowledge on the first gen FZ1 but the gen 11 esp modded is a bad ass machine you can cruise all day....lol Love my bike. It will run away or keep up with most stuff on the road(not all). whats not to love..LOL sorry love posting pics..

Gen1 = better MPG, and technically bigger HP numbers (if you look at the specs)
gen2 = easier to upgrade HP via ECU Flashes (vs changing hardware), more modern looks.

Only drawback I can see is worse gas mileage and if you consider a more aggressive seating position a drawback too, then....

Otherwise, get ready for the "stupid grin disease" that's about to hit you...

productPhoto1.jpg

The Gen 1 is a big fat beast with a huge fuel tank and incredible long distance capability. The motor is most lovely and it's about as reliable as you can get.

I'd have a Gen 2 if I wanted the more 'sport' experience. Better brakes, better suspension, lighter, more aggressive stance. And it looks bad ass, especially naked

Last edited:
Gen1 = better MPG, and technically bigger HP numbers (if you look at the specs)
gen2 = easier to upgrade HP via ECU Flashes (vs changing hardware), more modern looks.
Gen11 pulls almost 10 hp more stock at the rear wheels? plus weights less not sure what you are meaning?

Gen II, sports bike, gen I all rounder. A few simple mod makes the gen II a corking machine! And it 'can' return 48 (UK) mpg. Mine does occasionally :)

When tuned up they're absolute flying machines. Mine now is as quick as my old 98 R1 streetfighter, just without scaring the living shit out of me:D

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Drawbacks on the Gen 2.

1. MPG: I get between 30-36 mpg, in the city it's pretty much always 30 mpg.
2. Seat: the stock seat is a little sportier and more aggressive seating position. I've not upgraded yet, but I need to because after about 300 miles in a day my butt is killing me.
3. Low end/rpm torque is a little sluggish, better after slip on and probably even better after ECU flash or Power Commander.

Positives
1. It's like sex on wheels.

Gen11 pulls almost 10 hp more stock at the rear wheels? plus weights less not sure what you are meaning?

I thought I read somewhere that the Gen1 Bike was 149hp and the Gen2 was 140......

Now I cannot find that info...

EDIT:

According to this article the Gen1 is 145 HP
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/271/890/Motorcycle-Article/2001-Yamaha-FZ1.aspx

And according to this article the Gen2 is 126hp
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_1201_yamaha_fz1_mc_project/viewall.html

This one says the Gen2 is just over 130hp
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/271/814/Motorcycle-Article/2006-Yamaha-FZ1-First-Ride.aspx

Are these reviews way off?

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the Gen1 Bike was 149hp and the Gen2 was 140......

Dyno graphs from SportRider magazine:

Gen 1
146-1108-01-12+yamaha-FZ1+horsepower-torque-chart.jpg

Gen 2
146_0606_01_z+2006_yamaha_fz1+dyno.gif

Yamaha's stated brake horsepower numbers are 140 for the Gen 1 and 150 for the Gen 2

Last edited:
Dyno graphs from SportRider magazine:

Gen 1
146-1108-01-12+yamaha-FZ1+horsepower-torque-chart.jpg

Gen 2
146_0606_01_z+2006_yamaha_fz1+dyno.gif

Yamaha's stated brake horsepower numbers are 140 for the Gen 1 and 150 for the Gen 2

weird, I wonder if one article was stating Crank numbers and the other Wheel numbers.....

Funny the R1 Wikipedia page has a nice diagram showing all the HP numbers over the years, but the FZ1 page is missing that info.

EDIT:

According to this article the Gen1 is 145 HP
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - Motorcycle USA

And according to this article the Gen2 is 126hp
Ultimate One | MC Project - Motorcyclist Magazine

This one says the Gen2 is just over 130hp
2006 Yamaha FZ1 First Ride - Motorcycle USA

Are these reviews way off?

Yes, your first article GenI is stating crank horsepower while the second (GenII) is referring to rear wheel horse power. . . .

In stock form the GenI has considerably more area under the curve in its dyno graph compared to a stock GenII. Once both are properly uncorked the two make similar power till the top end where the GenII takes over.

Don't get too hung up on hp and torque curves .... how the power comes on at what rpm, in conjunction with the gearing of the transmission, of the weight of the bike and rider, tire selection and condition, weight and distribution between f/r and other issues all determine how the bike feels and performs in real life. Either bike in box stock form under the operation of a good rider will blow 99% of cars off the road. The problem is most riders can't exploit even the stock capability of the bikes....but that doesn't stop them from fiddling around with things in the hope that the machine will go faster.

Last edited:
My Gen II stock was ~ 102hp, after a BCM filter, Slip on & PCV dyno-tuned, it's up around 145hp (at the wheel). and you can see how much smoother it is post dyno-tune.

Either bike in box stock form under the operation of a good rider will blow 99% of cars off the road. The problem is most riders can't exploit even the stock capability of the bikes....but that doesn't stop them from fiddling around with things in the hope that the machine will go faster.

The bike is plenty of fast. In all of my riding around and testing myself, I've only got left behind by one car. A newer Corvette coming down Yarnell hill, and the next weekend I smoked a Ducati Streetfighter for redemption. A couple of super sport liter bikes have smoked me but pretty much nothing else has got me that bad yet. I just put on a slip on and still feel like the bike has plenty to offer beyond my skill level.

I'm not in much of a position to comment on the Gen I Fazer. I've had a 2012since late April. I'd look at riding position/comfort for your answer. The Gen II is sportier in terms of riding position, and probably less of a decent sport tourer than is the Gen I bike.

I have a Corbin saddle on mine and can still only manage about 90 minutes of riding before I need a break. But with some suspension adjustment or mods., I reckon it is mostly sportbike with better ergos.

I doubt you'll use all of the motor on either bike unless you are going to do track days. The Gen II likes to be rev'd,as it is more oversquare than is the Gen I motor.

You can't go wrong either way, and I would't mind having an inexpensive and gently used Gen I in my garage to go along with my Gen II. Wife may not be sympathetic though...I'd spend twice as much on bikes.

Back