Unmodding my bike

Hi all.

I bought a used Gen I (2005) FZ1 a couple of months ago and, now that I am getting to know it, I've identified a couple of mods made by the previous owner that I'd like to undo. I already ditched some cheap (not very bright) flush mounts (for cheap, but brighter, aftermarket turn signals... short term). There's still an integrated tail light mod that I intend to change for added safety (turn signals are just not obvious enough) and a mod that is my current focus... LEDs in the instrument cluster.

I didn't realize it was a mod when I bought the bike, but the previous owner installed blue LEDs in the instrument cluster that gives them a blue glow. For me, it makes the gauges harder to read at night so I want to restore it to original. My plan was to just cut and remove the LED wires and reinstall blown or missing instrument light bulbs (maybe with direct fit LEDs). I had the instrument panel apart tonight to check the bulb size and discovered some spliced wires to the gauge faces mixed in with the LED wiring. If I had to guess, I'd say these are for the needles or some sort of EL backlighting? Can any Gen I owners tell me if this is correct or link to a photo of your unmodded gauges?

Photos linked below:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112785...authkey=Gv1sRgCOHXzfSai9CT3gE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Those are aftermarket gauge covers! My 05 has black covers with green lighting. I also have the multiguage but here's a pic right after I installed the MG:
DSCN0166.JPG

Ah! I found a pic on the bike before the change:
DSCF4634.JPG

Hope this helps. Maybe you can find someone who's willing to swap. Also go to the FZ1OA site and search for instrument cluster. There are several threads about LED mod in the cluster. Pat's site is also a good resource. He has a page for the cluster background swap.

Last edited:
Yea, I can see how those lights and white background would look ok on a show bike, but definitely not easy to see on the street based on your pics. Best bet would be to get an original cluster on ebay or one of the forums. Not going to be easy (or cheap) to try and get that one back to stock condition.

Ahhhhh. It looks like he installed illumiglo gauge faces and then put in LEDs when they died. No sign of an inverter on the wiring anywhere so I don't know if the inverter died or the faces. I can't find any info online either to tell me if the holes drilled through for the LEDs would kill the Illumiglo. If I knew the illumiglow was still good, getting a new inverter would be the way to go. I actually like the white gauges.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I have to start searching for a used set of gauges.

The multigauge looks good BTW. Temperature and gear indication are two features I'd like to have.

clocks

Hi
Reading about your troubles with gauges. I have a spare inside gauge panel, just in case of crash. It works fine, but of course it is in KM.
Let me know if you are interested, shipping would not be so expensive, but I would need to check.
Cheers

OnDre

Back