Universal Gear Indicator addon for FZ1

I see on Ebay a number of really cheap Gear indicators for approximately 5-10 USD that claim to be Universal and that should work on any bike that has a speedo and tachometer.

Has anyone on the forum installed one of these?

Ebay.com Search for "Motorcycle Gear Indicator"

I see custom Gear indicators for the FZ1 which are 130-150 USD but that is too much for my taste.

Regards

Sanjay

Well I would imagine that those cheap ones could be made to work on the FZ1, but you will need a wiring diagram for sure. Just remember that you usually get what you pay for...

You will have to put some work into making the cheap one fit. As already mentioned - the wiring will be much more difficult. I have also read that the cheaper gear indicators wiill miss shifts more than the better built units. Even the gear indicators on the Multi Gague miss every once in a wile.
With electronics - you usually get what you pay for. I hate to say that because I like a bargain as much as anyone but this is not the place to skimp.
Just my 2 cents.

The magnet based indicators I can imagine would not be very accurate, but any indicator that ties into the rev/speedo should be accurate.

Pity that no one seems to have actually tried it.

Since they are quite cheap I may give them a try for a weekend project.

Back