tyre life

silentg

does anyone else run 1 front tyre to 2 rears or is it just me?

front defo doesn't wear as quick as rear so why the hell not eh :D

opinions....

Last edited:
I think that is par for the course for most bikes and riders. The rear of the bike (by design) takes the most load most of the time and that means more tire wear

1. Power is delivered to the back tire
2. More weight on the back tire
3. More forces on the back tire in cornering, especially when power is applied.
4. The tire compound on the rear tire is sometimes softer for better cornering.

There are other factors but every bike I've had the ratio is, indeed, about 2 to 1. Just a fact of life.

1. Power is delivered to the back tire
2. More weight on the back tire
3. More forces on the back tire in cornering, especially when power is applied.
4. The tire compound on the rear tire is sometimes softer for better cornering.

There are other factors but every bike I've had the ratio is, indeed, about 2 to 1. Just a fact of life.

Concur with all that....except point 2. The FZ1 gen 2 has a weight bias to the front.....unless you load it up with luggage etc.

My rear always goes before the front but I like to change both at the same time.
It feels like a new bike every time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

yes, you'll always wear out the rear first unless you literally, do no cornering, no hard accelerating, and weigh 100 pounds. its the fact of life on a liter bike, rear tires go out fast. especially at the track

Concur with all that....except point 2. The FZ1 gen 2 has a weight bias to the front.....unless you load it up with luggage etc.

I think he was more referring to the nature of how the bike carries its weight in motion rather than where the weight would be when it's static.

I burned through the front tire faster than the rear. When I counter stear it will burn up the side of the tire before the center of the tire. I still have meat to go in a strait Line but there is no meat at all on the sides. The rear still had a decent amount left. anyone else experience this?

front tire = 70-90% of your braking
braking and acceleration heat up the tires

both front and rear have been heat cycled the same, guess it depends how hard you accelerate/brake.

The front may have more tread, but it is just as worn. IMHO. So I change both on my FZ6R.

Riding style must have a lot to do with it. My front tires often show little to no wear. The super-sticky trackday tire I used on my California road trip this summer was nearly the same tread depth in the front as it was when new but I had to change the rear out as it was flat down the middle.

There are a few people on this forum who go through fronts pretty quickly so I'd like to learn more about this

Last edited:
I burned through the front tire faster than the rear. When I counter stear it will burn up the side of the tire before the center of the tire. I still have meat to go in a strait Line but there is no meat at all on the sides. The rear still had a decent amount left. anyone else experience this?

I think you may have a problem. What kind of tires do you run?

This is either from getting all over the brakes too often when heading into a turn, too low of pressure, or improper suspension setup.

To the OP.. One front to two rears used to be standard. However many Tire manufacturers have now reduced the amount of tread on front tires. For instance, the last set of BT-016's I bought... The rear came with 11/32" of tread. The front came with 5/32"... So the tire manufacturers have made it so that now one front lasts as long as one rear... Without reducing the price on the front tire that now has half the tread on it.

––New Galaxy S3

I ran 2:1 (back:front) on my Shadow 750. Can't say whether that's holding true for the FZ1, though. I've had to replace the rear a couple of times due to punctures. :-( If I had to guess based on the wear that I have seen, I'd say it's probably running about the same.

When I first got my FZ1, I was putting more wear on the front tire as I was very light on the throttle. As I learned the bike, I now go through 2 or 3 rears to each front.

I have the same problem, I checked everything, suspension setup, tire pressure anyway, tire type and finally had the frame measured. Everything is fine with the bike but the front goes down faster on the right side compared to the left. Never had this on any of my other motorbikes. :wtf: No idea what it is but I read from some similar stories on the forums but no solution to the problem.

Back