Two Up Riding On FZ1N ?

i like to ride with my girlfriend as pillion , but am concerned with the relatively short wheel base & small pillion seat on the FZ1N that my girlfriend will suffer discomfort ? i taken her for a short ride the other day , but it wasnt long enough to really test the pillion comfort / handling etc of the naked FZ1N . has anyone here , done any pillion riding on their FZ1N ? & whats their honest opinion of their own & their pillion ?

One of the main reasons I chose the FZ1N was the fact that I could take Mrs Haggiswolves on the back in comfort.
We tried quite a few demonstrators (Z750, Z1000, Speed Triple, Buell)
The yamaha was the best for pillion use and the best bike overall.
From a rider point of view, the bike is not a lot different for one up, her indoors is only about 8st though
She comes on the back more than I ride solo, the largest distance we've covered in one go would be about 200 miles, and both our arses were killing lol
Mainly we ride for 3-4 hours at weekends and it is just fine ;)

i have a gen I which the seating is different, but i enjoy 2up riding. No difference in the power, just slightly in low speed handling. GF loves it, and even with her super long legs its not uncomfortable for her.

When I first showed my gen 1 (2003) FZ1 to my girlfriend she said she won't be riding it since it doesn't have a padded passenger backrest like my '86 V-Max had. I got it in June of this year and have been going solo ever since. I just reached the 1000 mi break-in limit, so now I can see what it's really capable of.

My son, who rides with me much of the time, was a little nervous the first few times out. He had gotten used to the cruiser we had with the padded backrest. I think he felt more secure on that bike. The FZ1 has twice the horsepower of my last bike and that adds to his insecurity. As time went on however, he has gotten used to it and is fine riding with me now. I may spring later on this year for the seat with the "pop in" backrest for when we go on longer rides.

New to this

One of the main reasons I chose the FZ1N was the fact that I could take Mrs Haggiswolves on the back in comfort.
The yamaha was the best for pillion use and the best bike overall.
She comes on the back more than I ride solo, the largest distance we've covered in one go would be about 200 miles, and both our arses were killing lol
Mainly we ride for 3-4 hours at weekends and it is just fine ;)

Thanks Haggis. My wife has been on many of the HD I rented. I am buying the Corbin Gunfighter, with removable backrest, even though some buyers say its more "mental security," since it is not tall like the HD rentals I got at the dealers.

Of course I have only owned my 08 for three weeks this Saturday, so she has not been on the back. :party0011: But then, she has also never been on the back of a Sportbike.

I've got a FZ1S, but seating position is the same as the N.
The seat to foot-peg distance for passenger is somewhat short on FZ1 and passenger pegs don't have rubber inserts. My wife did complain about a bit of peg vibration and her legs having to be bent so much on the first ride, but she quickly got used to it.
I was going to mod the pegs (you can get lowered pegs and FJR pegs seem to work on this bike too (rubber inserts included)), but she said to leave it as is.

Otherwise the bike is excellent for 2up.

I've taken the missus many times on the back of my FZ1N.
She weighs next to nothing and has never complained about being uncomfortable.
Most of our rides together are about 3-4 hours tops.
A grab rail like the FZ1S model has would be handy though.

Two-up

I know that a lot of members on here either can't afford two bikes or simply don't want a bike large enough to comfortably carry two people, but if you really want to know how well suited either a gen I or a gen II is for carrying a second passenger just have a friend with one find a second rider and head on off the road. Now follow that person taking particular attention to the posture of the rider. Does it look like they are having fun? Especially if the two are on an expressway doing 70+. I ride and have ridden a long time both single and two-up and I want my passenger to feel comfortable and safe, so she doesn't flinch everytime the bike hits a bump or takes a quick shift. On a light bike like the FZ1, it doesn't take much of a shift in weight of the passenger to throw the bike off-balance. Just be safe and make sure the passenger feels the same.

Back