Twistedthrottle...wtf alurack doesn' t fit.

hankhill11

So i ordered an Alu-rack back rack and cocase with the right adapters... my case and adapter plate came right when they were suppose to. I am happy with the quality and all, but I had to wait an extra 10 days for the actual rack. it was not indicated that it was out of stock on the site. .. OK fine.. i'll wait.

finally i get it all in the other day and get all excited to install it. COOL Friday's here , i have time, going to ride around with my new hard case and all... NOPE! the damn grab rail replacement on the left side doesn't even come CLOSE to lining up. F that. i was so angry a few minutes ago i almost went ape shit in my garage. At this point i am willing to screw the whole deal and insist i send it all back with a full refund. if it took that long to get the rack in the first place, chances are they can't replace a defective part very fast either. i am quite pissed. Also as a side note, the nuts that fasten the plate on are not a standard size. . .

i will get pictures when i can. i'll be sending them to twistedt as well. such crap for expensive parts.

needless to say i'm off to a great start on my weeknd. rant over... for now.

How did you install it? I put the wires through the undertail piece first, then let it hang. Very loosely installed both side rails, then bolted to the undertail piece, then bolted up that piece last. If i would have done it any other way the rails wouldn't fit.

There are also some spacers to help move stuff around (I didn't end up using any, but you may need some). If you need installed pics, let me know I'll send you some.

Hey Indy, thanks for the tips. I have the tail rack only.. I assume the 'wires' you mention are for the side supports/saddle bag supports(or else specific to the gen 2 tail rack)? i sure hope so, because i have no wire things! haha. anyway, i am going to try to take a pic or 2 tonight. Its odd that you didn't end up using provided spacers as they are built into the instruciton. I will however see how it lines up without it.

I was careful to follow the diagram and the advise on t/t's site about lostening the rear fairing, and keeping the bolts lose.. I didn't really get far into the install, since the grab rails are the first thing to get put on. I'm confident the part is deffective rather than something mishapen on my bike. it just looks like the holes that mount to the brackets under the seat were drilled closer than they need to be.

|-----------| <--alu rack
|---------| <--hard points it mounts to on the bike. its not that dramatic of a difference but "doesn't fit" is "doesn't fit" either way.

wellp here's some pics if anyone's watching. I'll send these on tomorrow if i can and see what they will do for me. . I've never really heard anything bad about twisted throttle so far.

Overview with the forward bolt in place.. clearly you can see how bad it lines up the rear. no room for the rear bolt.

closer, and more head on.

head on Forward hole while rear is bolted down.

Last edited:
Sorry I have Gen 2, looks like you have Gen 1. Have you tried to switch sides with the racks? Can they go either side? Just wondering. Gen 2 has 2 long rails and a piece that goes under the fender.

Well, i called up TT and talked to the *2 install line. MatT was who i spoke with. He was pretty helpful to behonest. I know THEY dont make the parts.. but as he was reviewing my pictures, he noted the back racks i got, and the back racks that allow for side racks as well were the same rack (side accepting ones have extra mounting tabs welded on), and mentioned sometimes the diagrams are different.. so he checked it out, and seemed to him the spacer i used is suppose to go under the mounting tab above the bike frame, and i had it above the mounting tab. It didn't make sense to me (and still doesn't) but when i did it that way, it was closer to fitting... i still had to rasp a fairly large portion of the forward tab to get the clearance i needed for it to fit.

over all happy with twisted throttle, though they could have let me know a part was not in stock before i ordered it... their customer service was good. however, NOT as happy with the fit and finish of the alu-rack and CoCase.. after further review though, the case lock and plastic bracket seem like they will not last. takes more effort that it should to close and latch it.

thanks for keeping an eye on the thread though. I'll get a picture or two with the rack on when i have a moment.

It's funny, but I'm reading your thread and looking at the pictures, and I distinctly remember that during my "Spring Makeover" on my 01', I had removed the grab rails when I sent the tail section out to paint. Now it may mean absolutely nothing, but once I started the rebuild, I had such a hard time to re-install the grab rail on that same exact side of the bike. I remember that it would just not line up properly no matter how hard I tried. It must have took me a half hour to finally get the bolt in place to thread in proper. I'm just curious if the two incidents are related somehow. Even though I finally got it back in, there was "tension" needed on the grab rail itself to get it lined up with the hole. Just has me thinking??? May be nothing at all.

I have not and probably will not try to put the stock rails back on for a long long time. the battle was fierce. I think our issues may still be slightly different. I lined up and marked on paper the stock vs alu and the alu was definately not the same distance. It is odd that the right side had no issues in either case though! i'm guessing it has to do with the odd angles the mounting points are at.

I have not and probably will not try to put the stock rails back on for a long long time. the battle was fierce. I think our issues may still be slightly different. I lined up and marked on paper the stock vs alu and the alu was definately not the same distance. It is odd that the right side had no issues in either case though! i'm guessing it has to do with the odd angles the mounting points are at.

Exactly! I had no issues with the right side rail. It went on perfect the first try, but the left side!, it had be going nuts thinking I was doing something wrong! I hope you get it worked out.

Back