turn signal reminder

joeblowe

Here is a thought, I tend to forget that the turn signal is on.
Many of you probably have the same problem.

I bought 2 buzzers from 'the source' (radio shack) and installed one on each side of the front fairing using the wiring from the turn signal.
They buzz and remind me that the turning signal is on.
After a couple of weeks with this experiment I feel it works to my liking.

Not a bad idea. Every once in a while I discover that Iv'e been signaling out into space for who knows how long because I got distracted and left the blinker on. Too bad Yamaha and several others don't pick up on the "auto-off" feature that Harley and some others use. Not too many things more irritating than to see someone driving around with their turn signal on and no one has an idea if, and when, the'll actually turn.

Back in the 70's these audible gizmos were common on bikes and it drove most people crazy, but if they work for you that is fine. I think there are patent and legal issues for the bike manufacturers which is why you don't see auto cancelling signals.

I will look for the thread but someone here added LED lights to their fairing inserts. One on each side as a reminder. I am afraid audible queues my not always work with helmet, engine and road noise.

I will look for a link to that particular build thread.

Or you could develop OCD like I have and just push the cancel button every few minutes :D

LOL! I tend to do that as well because I'm paranoid about driving around with my turn signal on. I have to say that 99.9% of the time I DO remember to turn them off. I think the buzzard is only good for low speeds. I'm not sure that at highway speeds you'd hear them...still it's better than nothing.

I have become extremely aware of my signals with my wife riding now. I alway have to remind her to cancel hers which has made me more aware of what I do.

I forget who did a LED install in the fairing inserts as a visual cue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you could develop OCD like I have and just push the cancel button every few minutes :D

Yep, that is my method also. I did not realize how bad I am until I rode with a camera mounted on my gas tank. I watched the vid and noticed my thumb would push the signal cancel a couple times a minute.

i do this too, but it works. i used to be bad with leaving my signal on, but after i started doing this, it never happens anymore, though i think i may wear the signal button out!

Another option is to go and get your class one license (or Commerical Drivers license) and drive truck for a few years. After many many miles shutting of your signal will as natural to you as lifting your left foot to change gears. Only draw back is losing the extra weight I put on sitting behind the wheel

I thought I was the ONLY one who rode around subconciously hitting the cancelling switch on my turn signals! I'm happy to now know that I'm not alone. So that's OCD hey?!!! I guess I have it too!:Rockon:

Not a bad idea. Every once in a while I discover that Iv'e been signaling out into space for who knows how long because I got distracted and left the blinker on. Too bad Yamaha and several others don't pick up on the "auto-off" feature that Harley and some others use. Not too many things more irritating than to see someone driving around with their turn signal on and no one has an idea if, and when, the'll actually turn.

Funny thing is my '82 650 Seca had self cancelling signals...

They flashed a set number of times (like 8 IIRC) if the clutch was all the way out and the bike was in gear.

The main reason you do not want to travel with a turn signal engaged is that somebody may pull out in front of you thinking that you are turning or changing lanes. (I teach commercial driving and use video cameras to document driving behavior & skills).

Back