Turn Signal help.

Okay I have a 2003 Yamaha FZ1, and I have a problem with my turn signals.

I do believe they are stock, and when I put the turn signal on, the front matches correctly, but the rear turn signal/ brake light does not have the same response.

What do I do to fix this?

I do believe they are stock, and when I put the turn signal on, the front matches correctly, but the rear turn signal/ brake light does not have the same response.

Hello and welcome. Do you mean that they are not blinking in "Sequence"?

Questions to clarify:

Do you have 4 seperate pod type amber lights?

Do you have only 2 pod type amber lights in the front and just a tailight?

When you say they match are you referring to when a right or left signal is on and the front and back turn lights match OR are you referring to when you hit the 4-way caution/emergency button that the front 2 lights flash in unison and the rear 2 lights flash in unison but at a different rate than the front?

I have a Gen II, but if the turn signals are integrated into the rear brake light housing then you have an aftermarket setup there.

Yes they do.not sequence together. The rear Will.go between flashing really fast and really slow. And may not turn off until 15 seconds after i turned it off. I have the pods only up.front, have the taillight also functioning as the turn signals

Yes they do.not sequence together. The rear Will.go between flashing really fast and really slow. And may not turn off until 15 seconds after i turned it off. I have the pods only up.front, have the taillight also functioning as the turn signals

So something is definitely wired wrong. Your tail light should not do anything when you use the turn signals. When you say you have "the pods" up front, what do you mean?, Aftermarket? and if so, are they LED's or incandescent bulbs?

Sounds a bit like what I'm going through right now. I have a Motodynamic integrated (turn signal) tail light and am installing Proton flush-mount LED signals in the front.

I ordered a flasher relay from CustomLED last night... should get it later this week. I emailed customer service there and Jon sounded confident that this would sync up the flash rates. I'll let you know how it shakes out once I have everything hooked up.

There was another thread here on the forum (here) that gives me a bit of confidence that this will all work out.

Yes please let me know how that goes, i plan on getting external rear turn flashers but until then i want get this fixed. And front flashers are not aftermarket. They stock

If everything front and back is stock, let me look at my shop manual and see the wiring diagram and I'll tell you what color wire goes where at each signal. That should get you back to stock flash rates. Also, please check your ground connections since a bad ground can cause lights to act weird as well.

I got the impression you were using some sort of aftermarket tail light (LED) with integrated turn signals. Is that the case? If so, what brand/model?

If not, then I'm going to have to go with Billy. Everything stock should work fine. If it's not fine, then something has happened to your wiring and needs to be sorted out.

New flasher unit was delivered today. Hardest part was locating the stock relay. CustomLED one was a direct plug-and-play replacement, as advertised. Once it was installed, tail light slowed down and fronts strobed perfectly.

Edit: Pics

Last edited:
A lot of guys get confused about turn signals and what/how they work. With the advent of newer electronic relays, there are some differences in the actual relays, but this attachment shows the basic circuit. When an LED signal replaces a standard filament type light, the current draw is drastically reduced, if not eliminated altogehter and that's why so many people get confused as to why their brand new blinkers don't function any more. Even some of the aftermarket "lights" don'thave the same resistance as the stock lights and they may cause the system to never blink or blink very fast. I believe most standard turn signal lights are about 5-7.5 ohm if I remember correctly. If you put on an LED unit, it's going to have far more than that and it won't work until you put a load on the circuit that's close to the load (old light) that the original had on it. This diagram should help and if you don't know what the resistance of the old signal was, just measure the filament with a multi-meter. HowStuffWorks "How Turn Signals Work"

Some of the new aftermarket relays don't require the same load as the stock relay and that's why some LED manufacturers offer their relay as a replacement for the stock one when you use their LED blinkers.

I got the impression you were using some sort of aftermarket tail light (LED) with integrated turn signals. Is that the case? If so, what brand/model?

If not, then I'm going to have to go with Billy. Everything stock should work fine. If it's not fine, then something has happened to your wiring and needs to be sorted out.

its not aftermarket, but I'm currently in the process of the wiring

Back