Tuono APRC 18 Month Review

Yes I'm writing this with a new-born in my lap. :nono:

About 18 months ago Ed from AF1 Racing posted on the Aprilia Forum that the then new to the US Tuono V4R APRC's were in the Austin showroom and they had a demo. I don't recall the specific day of the week but I hopped on the FZ1 and zipped downtown.

Ed had been the point person when working with ECUnleashed to develop the flash for my FZ1 back in 2011 or so. We hit it off well.

So I roll up, and he puts me on a 2012 Tuono V4R APRC, with a Ti Arrow slip-on, and the RACE flash. He says, "Go take it for a ride." So I did. Stop and go on I35, 2222 sweepers, cruise down 360, and in MoPac to downtown.

I rode the bike in through the front door of the shop and told Ed, "I want one just like it!" Just like it? Same can and the flash? "Yup."

A couple of days later I picked my new bike and a couple of days later had the can and flash installed.

Since then it's been a "love affair." The bike fits me and my personality perfectly. I love the power, the sporty ergos, the quality suspension and brakes. And with the can and the flash the throttle is perfect, seriously, spot on perfect.

I've only done a few mods of the last 18 months. The factory Aprilia touring wind screen, the "comfort" seat, Euro dual headlights (think FZ6 - WTF???), and a couple of jewels; Brembo RCS M/C, and matching clutch lever with a cool EvoTech reservoir.

There have been few issues, 1) the demand sensor recall (competed in about 90 minutes), and the coolant manifold recall (for select bikes). And a douche bag knocked it over at the apartments we lived in when we first moved to OKC. dick-heads...

Unlike Japanese MFG's Aprilia gives you the flash updates for free. Imagine if Yamaha updated the '06 FZ1 with the '13 flash? Hummm....

Overall I've been very happy with the bike. Because of life, (move from Austin, start new job, get laid off from new job, find new job, start new job number two, have baby) I've not ridden as much as I'd like to, 1,550 miles. That said riding in Oklahoma City and the surrounding area sucks, plain and simple. East from Tulsa is great however, but I've not been to AR, and MO yet.

Now to nut cutting time, (old Army saying), the T vs. the FZ1. Hands down the T is a better value than the FZ1. At $12,999 vs. $10,790, the FZ1 is long on tooth.

To rise up the FZ1 needs:

1) A flash - Personally I'd do the ECUnleashed flash again, I don't like delayed, plug on Power Commander stuff. Just fix the flash.
2) SS brakelines
3) R1 Forks, brakes, and MC
4) A different rearshock - Penske, Ohlins, Wilbers, something other than OEM
5) Rearsets = better shifting, ground clearance, better feel. Rubber mounted footpegs are NOT the way to go.
6) A better saddle - the OEM one is simply terrible. I just love how it climbs up your O after an hour
7) Quality Tires - Bridgestones ain't Pirelli Rosso Corsas
8) A can, the OEM T muffler sounds great! The Arrow is simply icing on the cake.

Not to say the FZ1 is a bad bike, far from it, only that it is a dated bike. If one is considering a new Gen II FZ1 take a close look at the Tuono and see if it meets your needs. The soon to be released 2014 has; ABS (in addition to APRC), larger tank, more compliant suspension, softer/thicker seat, 1st to 3rd gears are lower, even more HP and torque, and I'm sure there are other goodies. :hook2: The total cost of ownership is pretty darn good.

Oh, I've not washed my bike in 18 months either! I just spray it off. :Rockon:

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the review. That Tuono sounds like like a hell of a bike.

I'm slightly apprehensive about the reliability, though. 1500 miles on a new bike and having any sort of issues scares me, warranty or not

Can't wait for the 36 month update

Last edited:
Fair question Dustin. From what I've seen on the Aprilia Forum, aside from the two recalls, the bike is pretty damn good. There are only about 400 to 600 of them in the US, so it is hard to say definitively, but so far she is a rock solid bike.

Would I do it again? In a heart beat! Especially with white in the US for 2014.

Oh, and I have the only one I've seen in TX, and OK. :cloud9:

Pete, I have raised a family and I understand how busy life can be. Also I know that until that little precious bundle of joy gets out of diapers your life is just too busy for riding a motorcycle.

In the interest of helping a fellow Dad and forum member I am willing to fly to your nearest large airport, throw a leg over the T and ride it back to Ca for a life of twisty roads over the next couple years. By then your little Red Racer will be going to pre school and you can have the bike back with a tank of fresh fuel.

Just here to help a friend....:D

Pete, I have raised a family and I understand how busy life can be. Also I know that until that little precious bundle of joy gets out of diapers your life is just too busy for riding a motorcycle.

In the interest of helping a fellow Dad and forum member I am willing to fly to your nearest large airport, throw a leg over the T and ride it back to Ca for a life of twisty roads over the next couple years. By then your little Red Racer will be going to pre school and you can have the bike back with a tank of fresh fuel.

Just here to help a friend....:D

Thanks man! Come on out and take her for a spin! She needs the exercise. Besides, I'm on the road for the next 5 weeks. Think of every "oil patch" and I'm there; Marcellus N & S, Utica, Barnett, Niobrara, Permian, and Eagle Ford.

Midland ROCKS!!!!

I'd love a T, but the nearest dealer is 125 miles away and there isn't even 1 dealer in all of IL (Chicago would have been much farther from me anyway). I can find a Yamaha dealer just about anywhere. I'll have to stick with the 4 Jap companies for now. I agree that for the price, you get a ton of bike. It is my dream bike, but I'll have to make due with the FZ1 for now.

Thanks for the update. Do they have a factory baby seat? :thewave:

I said it in another thread, if my bike was totaled or stolen, I'm getting the Tuono. For what I had to spend to make the FZ1 even begin to compare, I'd have the Tuono and cash left over. But, the Tuono wasn't available when I was looking. Yes it's Italian and yes, it needs a tighter maintenance schedule, but so long as you stay on top of it, it's a ton of excitement!

Pete, I'd love to come out and take it for a ride, and also put you on the Ivanized FZ1. :) I'd like to get your impression of the Yamaha now.

Thanks for the write-up and I hope you can squeeze in some fun rides in this busy time of your life. But I know, looking into your little Angel's face, the bike is a mere after-thought....as it should be. ;)

I'd love a T, but the nearest dealer is 125 miles away and there isn't even 1 dealer in all of IL (Chicago would have been much farther from me anyway). I can find a Yamaha dealer just about anywhere. I'll have to stick with the 4 Jap companies for now. I agree that for the price, you get a ton of bike. It is my dream bike, but I'll have to make due with the FZ1 for now.

Oh I know, my closest dealer is Tulsa 110 miles away, 3 hours south to DFW.

With AF1RACING and the Aprilia forum it's almost like you don't need a dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Get that sucker Ivanized Troy and THEN tell me about your dream bike. Ivan puts you a LOT closer to that reality. :D I wish you were closer to try this out.... I'm so pumped on this change.... wow!

Back