Trouble removing star drive bolts in rear brake disc

SETH46

Can anyone shed any light on this ?? Trying to install new wavey disc.

I have an 08 FZ1S and cant undo the bolts on the rear disc.
Are the bolts threaded reverse ? Are they super LockTighted in ??? :confused0024:

Any hints or tips for removal ?? I'm struggling like hell !!!!

All help appreciated !!!! :confused0024:

Seth

Put down a scrap piece of carpet for protection of the wheel and bearings and use a hand impact driver with the appropriate star socket (TORX) socket set type, No extentions, they absorb the impact. Use a small sledge hammer, like a short handel 5 lb model. If in the end you hog out the torx bolts insides, a dremel can cut a slot for a large sloted screwdriver, if that fails, a mufler shop can mig weld a bolt on the head of the bad bolt. Yes they are put on with locktite, but typically heat dirrected to JUST the bolt head will dispose the locktite and internally fry and crystalize it. ps. they are standard thread dirrection ie. counter-clockwise to un-do.

GOOG LUCK.....they sure can try your patience.

Last edited:
Almost gave up !!!

well my conclusion is that i think YAMAHA are pricks for usin soft alloy Torx Drive bolts on the FZ1's rear brake disc !!!
After 4 LONG ASS hours all 5 bolts are out but i have to wait longer now for the new bolts to arrive to replace the chewed up and drilled 1's !!! BAS**RD !!!

Thanx for all the tips people, And my advice to anyone else would be ...........

DON'T EVEN BOTHER !!!! hahahaha (unless u a EXREEMLY PATIENT, oh yeah and have a local garage that all 3 mechanics lend a hand to finally remove the little buggers!!)

Pics will follow when the new bolts arrive and disc is fitted.

Seth :thewave:

Pro bolt do some nice stainless or titanium replacement kits

yeah checked them out but got a set of 5 stainless hex head bolts (better than bloody torx!!) for £9 of FleeBay !!

Cant grumble for that price, hopefully they are here friday so i get the weekend on it !!!

yeah checked them out but got a set of 5 stainless hex head bolts (better than bloody torx!!) for £9 of FleeBay !!

Cant grumble for that price, hopefully they are here friday so i get the weekend on it !!!

Yea, I think those Torx bolts are sort of a one time use item. I can't imagine that you can remove them and then reuse them w/o destroying them. Even the Allen bolts that they used previously to the Torx were a pain, but I found them easier to deal with.

super soft alloy !!!

Yea, I think those Torx bolts are sort of a one time use item. I can't imagine that you can remove them and then reuse them w/o destroying them. Even the Allen bolts that they used previously to the Torx were a pain, but I found them easier to deal with.

not even a friggin 1 time use !!! haha they are so soft and WAY to easy to distroy, which i found out the hard way ! These new stainless hex bolts should do the trick, and in all honesty, i doubt they will be coming back out again !!!:yes:

Cost cuttin buggers they are, not the best of parts used on these i must admit !!! Most parts were fury after less than 2 weeks when i first bought it !

new bolts are here !!!

what a great company !! the bolts i ordered at 3pm yesterday arrived at 1pm today !! So it looks like the new wavey disc is goin on tomorrow !!!

Put some new grips on today and a mini mirror on the right hand side.

Cant wait to get out on her on Saturday. I'll follow up on this with pics 2moro.

HAPPY AS A PIG IN SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!:woot:
:sport12:

Is it that they really are soft? Or, is it due to the excessive heating and cooling that makes them soft by weakening the metal over time with heavy use?

softer than soft

Is it that they really are soft? Or, is it due to the excessive heating and cooling that makes them soft by weakening the metal over time with heavy use?

they really are soft mate, REGARDLESS of heating !! even non heated bolts were just twisting out !!! its like an alloy bolt, the choice of head is terrible, but the new stainless bolts i ordered have a lovely deep cavity for the hex key.
PLUS THEY ARE LOVELY AND SHINEY !!!!!

Either way, it's getting sorted !!! :party0011:

Back