Trick to ease up throttle pull?

I feel like it takes a ton of effort to pull back on my throttle.. Is there a spring or something I have to change out to make my life easier? It makes blipping the throttle while downshifting and braking a real pain!

Thanks in advance.

Lube? or cams

When was the last time the cables were lubed. It seems strange that the throttle would be so stiff. There is for many bikes custom throttle cams available that change the dynamics of the throttle action, and this might be another option for you. For my KTM the kit comes with 3 different throttle cams (all for differing throttle delivery action; for example very subtle initial response for tight slow trails vs fast initial action for quick race launches) is about $100.

here is an example: CRF150R'07-09 - G2 Ergonomics Throttle Cam System (T.C.S.): CRFs Only - Your Source For Honda CRF Parts, Accessories and Information...

here is one with a good explanation and another interesting product: http://www.g2ergo.com/blog/category/g2-throttles/

Last edited:
Lube the cable thoroughly. Use the EZ-glide cable lubricator that was advertised here before. Those G2 cams work pretty well in reducing the 06 throttle snatch too aka fuel cutoff.

For the clutch, if this does not help which is likely, loosen the clutch engagement adjuster until you feel the lever loose enough. I did this exactly till the point when the rear wheel does not spin when on centerstand and in neutral. From factory the clutch is a little tight and that is why all new owners complain about the wheel spin.
However, you may not like the the engagement point and the reduced clutch friction zone. Adjustable levers can take care of the engagement point.

Last edited:
Do you have aftermarket bar ends? If so, make sure they are not pinching the throttle tube. I had to use a washer as a spacer on mine.

Check your cable run. It may be binding. Also, have you overtightened your cable play? You want a little bit of play in the throttle tube, if it is too tight it can also make the throttle cable pull harder.

I feel like it takes a ton of effort to pull back on my throttle.. Is there a spring or something I have to change out to make my life easier? It makes blipping the throttle while downshifting and braking a real pain!

Thanks in advance.

If you read this, and accept it as written, he appears to be concerned with throttle "pull" and not static throttle drag. He comments that it is difficult to "pull back on my throttle ".

It appears, as he says, to be a resistance against opening the throttle and that could be heavy spring tension; although I don't see where.

Back