Track bike - registration, insurance, 600 or bigger?

I will throw my 2cents in as well.

I bought my FZ1 to replace my SV650. the SV is now my track bike. I was like you and tired of swapping street parts for track parts and while my Road 2's are great street tires, the aren't so great on the track.

I would also throw something to think about.
The SV is an awesome toy for track days and racing in its own class. If you are looking at any racing and there are large tracks with long straights, skip the SV. The little bike just doesn't have the top speed to keep up with the 600SS bikes. it is light and super easy to power right out of corners, but the straights I get dusted after I pass in the corners.

I will say that a nice alternative is the Daytona 675. My GF has one as a track bike and it is really nice. great power, light and flickable, but sometimes expensive to fix.

I will agree with what was already said though, if you can get a good deal on one that is already a track/race bike, do that. buying all the stuff for the track, from suspension to body work, gets expensive. but you can go to the track naked and save that expense.

good luck with your search and purchase!

I will throw my 2cents in as well.

I bought my FZ1 to replace my SV650. the SV is now my track bike. I was like you and tired of swapping street parts for track parts and while my Road 2's are great street tires, the aren't so great on the track.

I would also throw something to think about.
The SV is an awesome toy for track days and racing in its own class. If you are looking at any racing and there are large tracks with long straights, skip the SV. The little bike just doesn't have the top speed to keep up with the 600SS bikes. it is light and super easy to power right out of corners, but the straights I get dusted after I pass in the corners.

I will say that a nice alternative is the Daytona 675. My GF has one as a track bike and it is really nice. great power, light and flickable, but sometimes expensive to fix.

I will agree with what was already said though, if you can get a good deal on one that is already a track/race bike, do that. buying all the stuff for the track, from suspension to body work, gets expensive. but you can go to the track naked and save that expense.

good luck with your search and purchase!

All great advice, thanks! Fairly certain I will never race, so I'm not too concerned about power or maximum speed.. just don't want to be bored on straights (especially being used to FZ1, you know?)

All great advice, thanks! Fairly certain I will never race, so I'm not too concerned about power or maximum speed.. just don't want to be bored on straights (especially being used to FZ1, you know?)

I may not be the fastest person on the track, but i have never been bored. too much fun!

but if i had to choose my SV vs the GF's D675, i would pick the D675.

Back