Track bike - registration, insurance, 600 or bigger?

I'm thinking about getting a dedicated track bike for next season.

My reasons for wanting to get one:

- I don't want to make any mods to my FZ1 which will make it a better track bike, by sacrificing street comfort. It's my main mode of daily transportation and I occasionally do ~300 mile day trips on it.

- FZ1 Handlebar is much too high for track use (this may just be my opinion, but I feel like it's one of the things that makes it harder for me to ride it on the track).

- FZ1 is a bit of a piggy. Would be nice to have something ~100 pounds lighter for track use.

- I prefer to run sport touring tires on my bike, which typically last 2 seasons. It would be nice to use tires meant for the track (I know I can get around this by getting another wheel set and swapping it in for track days)

Registration and insurance

I've talked to my company (Progressive) about track day coverage. I was told that as long as I wasn't racing, the coverage would be in effect. I've read some conflicting stories on this subject. Does anyone have real-life experience with this?

Is there any point to registering a track bike? If I don't, how does the title thing work for a used bike? Typically, the seller writes his info in, as does the buyer. The title is turned over to MVC and the buyer gets new title, listing him as new owner. What happens if I never turn the title in and I want to sell the bike?

Which bike?

Based on a bit of research, the 2 bikes at the top of my list are 06+ R6 or 06+ GSXR 600. I have no personal experience with either. Any reason to NOT get one of those? Any reason to go bigger than 600 for track only?

I know it was far easier to throw my FZ6 around, compared to FZ1.. I wouldn't want to sacrifice flick-ability for more power (though I did do a track day on S1000 and that thing was effortless when it came to turn-in and it felt very light.. after FZ1).

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Me, if I had the means for a "Track Only" bike, I'd definitely go for a 600. My dilemma would be the same as yours, which one to choose, however, I'd be deciding between the CBR or the R6. The R6 is a sweet sounding bike but high revving. I believe the CBR has more of it's power in the midrange, which may be more suited for track riding. Also, the CBR has killer looks!

Me, if I had the means for a "Track Only" bike, I'd definitely go for a 600. My dilemma would be the same as yours, which one to choose, however, I'd be deciding between the CBR or the R6. The R6 is a sweet sounding bike but high revving. I believe the CBR has more of it's power in the midrange, which may be more suited for track riding. Also, the CBR has killer looks!

Few reasons why CBR didn't make my list:
- For same model year I'm considering (06), no slipper clutch (not a necessity, but both R6 and GSXR have'em.
- Seems to be quite a bit more $ than the others.

Exactly what I did, verbatim.

I got tired of taking the FZ apart and putting it back together. I wanted track tires. The bars are all wrong. And at the end of the day I was beat from hauling the 500 lbs around all day.

I got a 06 R6s and haven't looked back. It feels as fast as the FZ, but only at 10,000 rpm +. What you lose on the straight you make up for in the curves. Body position is not just better, it is actually possible.

I don't know anyone that insures a track only bike. Worst case you can part it out and get most of what it's worth.

I prefer engine braking over a slipper clutch. And the replacement cost!

Last edited:
R6, 07' or newer.

Don't have to have a title, but for resell you'll get more (but pay more to, so its a wash). If you get a bike without a title I don't even think you CAN insure it. What would be the point anyway....I wouldn't want to make premium payments on a bike I only rode at the track occasionally anyway.

Personally, I have both (a FZ1 I ride at the track and a dedicated trackbike). We don't insure the trackbike (ZX6R) and it doesn't have a title, just a bill of sale. I carry full coverage on the FZ1, but never asked my insurer about trackdays. I'm sure it would be covered since its not "racing", but a "skills event".

Results may vary.

07 R6 or newer. Has By far better suspension than the other 600 and the power characteristics (high peaked) is excellent for the track (not so on the street).
The slipper clutch is a huge advantage when shifting down and i would go for one at the track.

Any of the superbikes are capable of handling whatever YOU can throw at it. Although the R6 seems to be the bad boy of the 600's from what I've read. Also read the only people capable of reaching the limits of the R6 have names like Spies, Hayden, and Rossi.

Any of the superbikes are capable of handling whatever YOU can throw at it. Although the R6 seems to be the bad boy of the 600's from what I've read. Also read the only people capable of reaching the limits of the R6 have names like Spies, Hayden, and Rossi.

Yup, got a bunch of suggestions on FZ6 forum and it seems 06 R6 might not be the best choice for me. Older R6 or 06 R6S should work better. SV seems to be a great way to go too. Track bikes do seem to cost way less (don't care if there's no title).

Go with what you get a great deal on. I got my 08 zx6r for a steal. 5,000 track miles later and she rides like new.

In the end its what you make of it, they are all soo good. If you buy a bike without a title at least get a bill of sale and run the VIN. The last thing you want is the fuzz aresting you for having stolen property in your possession.

Get a bike with a title. You are protected and the seller is protected.

My R6 has never been registered, straight t o AMA duty. However the title has always gone with the bike. Each owner's name is listed on the title.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Get a bike with a title. You are protected and the seller is protected.

My R6 has never been registered, straight t o AMA duty. However the title has always gone with the bike. Each owner's name is listed on the title.

Does the title need to be transferred or do you just write your name in?

I, we, just wrote our names on it. Its the honor system, however it is the correct title.

It also helps fight the stolen bike market.

Few more thoughts. Until you're pinning the throttle on an FZ1, don't bother with a true 1000 SS bike. Just get a 600 and wring it's neck to red line ~15,000 rpm. I have plenty of video of me passing "faster/newer" bikes on my "old" '05 R6. That includes, R1's GSXR 1000's, etc.

Honestly you need to ride much faster, lean the bike over, brake deeper, and don't worry about form. Just ride the bike, become smooth and fast. The rest of that stuff is pure and total fluff. Really.

Find a nicely track prepped 600, regardless of brand and be done with it. Find a clean, solid, reasonably priced race bike. Building one, unless you don't care and can afford it, is a waste of money.

Check the WERA site. Come December/January, there will be DEALS!!!

Concerning insurance for the track,,,, I'd make sure you get it in writing that your coverage includes track duty.............. or hire a team of 23 blood sucking lawyers to read and decipher your policy for you.

Have any medical coverage ? I'd be SURE that covers track duty too !!! Its all fun and games until your staring at a $80,000 bill from the hospital/ambulance.
My opinion the track is MUCH safer than the street but is your medical coverage good on the track ???? You'd be surprised how fast a simple broken arm/leg can turn into a financial nightmare.

Title, if your not going to transfer with your DMV at least have the transfer notarized with a bill of sale. Protection for both buyer and seller.
Notary fee's are cheap and often free at your local bank.
In my state title transfer is only around $20 without registration, well worth the price to avoid issues in the future.

Bike, as already mentioned a 600 is a great choice, but dont over look the GSXR 750, almost identical in weight to the 600 but a nice bump in HP and more importantly TORQUE. Having a little more power is always nice but your not stepping into the liter bike range of overwhelming power.

Last edited:
Few more thoughts. Until you're pinning the throttle on an FZ1, don't bother with a true 1000 SS bike. Just get a 600 and wring it's neck to red line ~15,000 rpm. I have plenty of video of me passing "faster/newer" bikes on my "old" '05 R6. That includes, R1's GSXR 1000's, etc.

Honestly you need to ride much faster, lean the bike over, brake deeper, and don't worry about form. Just ride the bike, become smooth and fast. The rest of that stuff is pure and total fluff. Really.

Find a nicely track prepped 600, regardless of brand and be done with it. Find a clean, solid, reasonably priced race bike. Building one, unless you don't care and can afford it, is a waste of money.

Check the WERA site. Come December/January, there will be DEALS!!!

Great info! Thanks Pete!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Go with what you get a great deal on. I got my 08 zx6r for a steal. 5,000 track miles later and she rides like new.

In the end its what you make of it, they are all soo good. If you buy a bike without a title at least get a bill of sale and run the VIN. The last thing you want is the fuzz aresting you for having stolen property in your possession.

Nice!

Our '98 with a '99 engine....built as an endurance bike. Me at Road Atlanta

Bike, as already mentioned a 600 is a great choice, but dont over look the GSXR 750, almost identical in weight to the 600 but a nice bump in HP and more importantly TORQUE. Having a little more power is always nice but your not stepping into the liter bike range of overwhelming power.

Indeed the gsxr750 comes quite underrated, but from experience it s an ideal combo of two worlds. Go for the k4 or plus. I have had loads of fun on my k1 and you'll find lots of parts

Back