TPS off?

Osup

Hello all.

3 days ago I purchased a brand new 08 FZ-1 with 0 miles on the clock. I have put about 100 miles on it and thought I'd give it a bit of gas for the first time. At 3/4 throttle, the bike pulls very hard. But at full throttle, the bike chokes. :shame: If I let off the throttle a little bit, it starts pulling again. Could the Throttle Positioning Sensor be off? Mind you I haven't taken her past 6k, but it is still very noticeable.

Any thoughts?

Hmm. Or maybe the fuel line is pinched somewhere? Maybe under the gas tank? Dang. I need to get off work so I can go home and check it. It's driving me crazy!

Doesn't sound like a TPS because that would effect the whole range of throttle motion typically. This is only WOT?

Definitely lift the tank and check the fuel line and vent hose to see ifthe stealer pinched one.

The fuel filter. btw, is built into the fuel pump so I hope it's not clogging.

Yeah. Only WOT. I'm going to leave early tonight and take a quick look under the tank to make sure their isn't any damage to the fuel line from being pinched. The bike is an 08 so it sat for a while before I purchased it. Pretty frustrating on a new bike. :looseit:

Don't let yourself go nuts. A lot of times it winds up being something small that creates the problem. The bike was sitting for a while so I would replace the gas filter as well, just to start off fresh. Also, yes, alot of times you'll find that the fuel line is kinked underneath the gas tank. Other than that, go buy yourself a bottle of Seafoam. Its sold at any autozone, pepboys, napa, etc. Its a red and white can (16oz.) you can treat every gallon with 1 ounce. You'll be amazed at how this stuff can fix many gas related problems after running the bike with this in the tank. I had purchased my bike after sitting for a while and it's the first thing I did which saved me from removing the carbs. Yours is injected but it will clean out your system as well. Just go to the most logical causes first to rule them out before you go digging into more complex stuff.

Don't let yourself go nuts. A lot of times it winds up being something small that creates the problem. The bike was sitting for a while so I would replace the gas filter as well, just to start off fresh. Also, yes, alot of times you'll find that the fuel line is kinked underneath the gas tank. Other than that, go buy yourself a bottle of Seafoam. Its sold at any autozone, pepboys, napa, etc. Its a red and white can (16oz.) you can treat every gallon with 1 ounce. You'll be amazed at how this stuff can fix many gas related problems after running the bike with this in the tank. I had purchased my bike after sitting for a while and it's the first thing I did which saved me from removing the carbs. Yours is injected but it will clean out your system as well. Just go to the most logical causes first to rule them out before you go digging into more complex stuff.

Very sound advice. Ill swing by autozone on the way home. I'll let you all know what I find.

I just realized that you said "New" in your post. I must have mixed you up with another member who said it was sitting a year. If that bike has come straight from the "stealer", then for Pete's sake, get it back to them for an inspection as to whats happening. I wouldn't touch anything before them looking at it. I know your anxious to ride but if the bike is new, let them fix it without you expending any of your hard earned money. I highly doubt that the TPS circuit has anything wrong with it.

Just an update guys. The bike has been in the shop for 2 days. The mechanics were able to duplicate the problem and the ECU did not turn up a trouble code. So now they are scratching their heads trying to figure out why the bike dies and cant go over 6 1/2k. I have to admit this has me worried a bit since the thing only has now 100 miles, all put on by me without taking it over 6k. I think I need a drink :beer:

Just an update guys. The bike has been in the shop for 2 days. The mechanics were able to duplicate the problem and the ECU did not turn up a trouble code. So now they are scratching their heads trying to figure out why the bike dies and cant go over 6 1/2k. I have to admit this has me worried a bit since the thing only has now 100 miles, all put on by me without taking it over 6k. I think I need a drink :beer:

Oh man that sucks, but on the bright side it's still under warranty. I am sure the dealer will eventually figure it out. Keep us posted...

Yup! Kinked fuel line under the tank. What a relief. They had to order the part. I'll get my new baby this Wednesday. :woot:

Yup! Kinked fuel line under the tank. What a relief. They had to order the part. I'll get my new baby this Wednesday. :woot:

I know your feeling really good about now. I'm just wondering what part it is that they are ordering? Was the hose that damaged? Anyway, I'm glad your up and running again soon. Good news!

I know your feeling really good about now. I'm just wondering what part it is that they are ordering? Was the hose that damaged? Anyway, I'm glad your up and running again soon. Good news!

They claim its just the fuel line that got kinked and punctured. They claim that they don't have a spare on hand. I know. It's hard to believe. The mechanic said the fuel pump is working fine.

Years ago, I purchased a brand new SV1000s that I had to bring back because the forks were damaged during setup. They had to wait a week for parts to come in for that fix as well. I think I'm cursed or something.

Just picked up my bike. Holy crap is it fast! The mechanic showed me the pinched line and it was indeed kinked pretty bad. I'm a happy camper. What a great motorcycle!

Back