Torn between 2 slip ONs any input would be great

So I'm ready for some more exhaust noise on my 08 FZ1 and have narrowed it down to the following: (Im going to keep DB Killer in place)

a2d5356d90d157e2cd3d6df7ab22f0b7.jpg

SLIP-ON OPEN EXHAUST SYSTEM for the YAMAHA FZ1 / FZ1 FAZER (2006 - 2009) - Akrapovic

and

0000_Yoshimura_TRC_Slip-On_Exhaust_Titanium.jpg

Yoshimura TRC Slip-On Exhaust - Street Bike Parts - Exhaust - Motorcycle Superstore

Froim what I have been reading, looks like the Akrapovic slip on is probably a more quality piece, but I like the shortness and pricepoint of the yoshimura TRC. Im wondering if the TRC may be too loud.

Anyone have either of these or know somebody who does? And if so how do you like? pro's cons?

Thanks

VA is on it, Akra are perhaps the best exhausts you can buy. Excellent quality, priced very good (typically), excellent fit and the engineering on the full systems are second to none. Overall a very good value.

I had an Akra on my FZ6 and with the db Killers in it was on 82 db, with them out it had a nice sound but not stupid loud.

You'll get about the same power gains with either one. So it depends on your budget and how loud a pipe you want. As the others mentioned the Akra is better quality and quieter, but a little too long IMHO. The TRC is loud, but with the dbkiller inplace it's not too bad. I have the Yosh R-77 full exhaust w/o the dbkiller and it sounds great (to me anyway), but the R-77 is not offered as a slip-on for the FZ1. Also since it's a little longer (hence more muffler volume) it's not as loud as the TRC.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your Input guys, Im thinking about going with the Akrapovic, but do like the shortness of the TRC.

Would love to see your pictures Drclarksmith :)

here are some pics of my akrapovic

Hope this helps you make your decision! Let me know what you think? The yoshi is a great choice as well.

The akrapovic isn't quiet by any means, and weighs like 5lbs which is nuts compared to the 25lb stock bazooka cannon!! LOL

I dont know how to post the bigger sized pics straight to the thread, so if anyone could tell me how, that would great.

Last edited:
use the
tags from your URL address...

610d1249953198-torn-between-2-slip-ons-any-input-would-great-dsc00020.jpg

if ya click on your thumbnails, and then rt click on the image (view source) -- copy that url and then use the little icon in panaromic icon view to paste your URL to generate the IMAGE tag or use the img tags above with the url in between.

hope this helps....

Adam

Last edited:
Two Bros @ 4.1 lbs

Here is another option... I got this for $424 shipped. It is loud but not obnoxious.

attachment.php

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0zQNlG620]YouTube - 2009 FZ1 with Two Brothers installed[/ame]

Thanks again Guys, ended up going with the Akrapovic in carbon Fiber.

Those who installed a slip on, do I need to remove the EXUP??? or just the cables, I was reading the installation instructions from Akrapovic werent too detailed.

Thanks

Thanks again Guys, ended up going with the Akrapovic in carbon Fiber.

Those who installed a slip on, do I need to remove the EXUP??? or just the cables, I was reading the installation instructions from Akrapovic werent too detailed.

Thanks

Congrats on your choice. The actual EXUP valve is attached to the extension pipe on the stock muffler. It will come off with the stock muffler. What you need to remove are the EXUP cables that run between the valve and the servo motor that is located under the front seat.

They sound totally different. If price doesn't matter and since dyno results are about the same..which do you lke the looks of better and sound better?

And if the same -- get the cheaper one and throw the extra cash towards the next mod :)

To all you US folks with the Akrapovic hex: Did your slip-on come with the DB-killer; if it did, who did you buy it from?

Akrapovic USA and Parts Unlimited both say the US version does not come with the DB-killer.

I'm confused!?!

Thanks for input,

MrHix

All I can say is if its to long CHOP IT. Drill out the pop rivets from the bottom and cut it to the length that will make it look awesome. Put it back together and done. Akrapovic were always to long. Do sound awesome. Chopping it should make a deeper growl.

The Ak looks 'astetically' more in 'flow' with the lines with the end cap, while the other looks somewhat 'generic'. You can't go wrong with either however, but as for blending the looks, the AK wins hands down.

Back