Top speed

Wow some of you guys are getting pretty sensitive these days.
Almost every one of us has hit top speed on our bikes and or other rigs at some time on public roads...
I've seen 164 indicated on a 16 Tooth with a slip on and k&n. That's the extent of my mods, obviously I'm losing a bit with the non stock gears, not that I care...

So never once did I say that it was a good idea to go the past with a passanger. But then again she knows how I ride and is more than willing to hope on the bike. Let's face it we all ride a bike that we can travel death or jail time speed on. I didn't edit my balls out of the post I edited it because I didn't wanna hear it from everybody when I'm sure you all have made poor decisions at least once also.

In fact I actually thought twice about putting that in there but I figured that was a key factor that I should not leave out.

So with that being said after thinking about it 140 mph with an extra 130 pounds and it being a really windy day isn't too bad. I think solo on a day where there isn't much wind I could reach up to the 165 mark.

Thanks to everyone who was mostly neutral on this subject.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Really, trying that with a passenger was either the most selfish, stupid thing I have ever heard OR ? I don't know what else to say about this besides if I ever see anyone do it I will beat them with a baseball bat then call the cops. Sorry to get in a face about this but this rea) u piss' s me off that this person has no care or concern for his passengers life.

RIGHT ON!

I did 110mph in 6th at 8500rpm (and still increasing) on a very long flat straight-away in Central CA trying to catch up with four HD friends who felt it necessary to go 85mph all day and pass cars. I can't imagine what my mph would have been at redline, but I was not in a hurry to find out.

I have never gone over 70mph with my wife on the back. TOO MUCH TO LOOSE with a passenger.

I'll keep the comments about the passenger to myself.

I have gone 135 (according to my speedo) with stock gearing. That was just me accelerating through some traffic/ pulling away and not letting up. The bike did not feel comfortable going that fast - it was extremely unstable in my opinion. I think doing 70ish into turns can be done comfortably and relatively safe if you are ridding properly and have a good set of tires. But, our bikes don't have the same fairings as a super sport and should be driven as such.

My new Audi S4 on the other hand - 145 ;)

I have gone 135 (according to my speedo) with stock gearing. That was just me accelerating through some traffic/ pulling away and not letting up. The bike did not feel comfortable going that fast - it was extremely unstable in my opinion. I think doing 70ish into turns can be done comfortably and relatively safe if you are ridding properly and have a good set of tires. But, our bikes don't have the same fairings as a super sport and should be driven as such.

I took my FZ1 to the track (Mid-Ohio) last year and saw 130-140 on the back straight, with more room to go (I just suck). Stock everything at that point. At no point did I feel the bike was unstable. Granted, the bike's not a super-sport, but some of them have dreams!

165 to 170 is doable with some minor performance upgrades and stock gearing. That being said, I would never ride this fast with a passenger on the back or riding myself anymore, but like most people, there is that urge to try and see how fast you can take if only for just a second. And once you've been there, the urge to do it again isn't as high on the list as you might think, at least not to anyone wanting to live and stay outta jail. ;)

Someone told me that try were on a bike identical mine (naked, K&N filter, Yosh R-77, no tuning) and saw 150MPH on GPS on a long straight back road. He told me there was enough room to be 100% sure tree was no more to be had. Of course, I just had to take his word for it.

If I hit the recall button on my speedohealer it reads 154 for a top speed from the previous owner. Yet have a buddy that claims he has seen 174 on his. He's a pretty small guy also. Half my size. I'm 6 foot 215 lbs

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've hit an indicated 155 on my old Gen 1 (yosh pipe and jet kit), and my new (to me) Gen 1 which is stock. Both bikes were still accelerating slowly but I ran out of straightaway. I suspect with a lot of room and no wind my bike could do 165. On a Gen 2 fz1 I would expect similar results but haven't verified for myself.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

My new Audi S4 on the other hand - 145 ;)

Something is wrong with your bike if it feels unsettled at 135. Mine rides as nice at 150 as it does at 80.
The roads aren't as forgiving though.

Something is wrong with your bike if it feels unsettled at 135. Mine rides as nice at 150 as it does at 80.

I agree, both of my fz1s are stable at 150. Tuck as much as you can, head below the windscreen and tuck your knees as well. Also your front preload could too stiff and causing the front end to ride high. When I bought my current FZ1 the previous owner had the front preload as stiff as it would go and the rear preload too soft. Needless to say the bike felt darty at speed and didn't handle very well until I correctly dialed in the suspension. The front end being too stiff/high may negatively affect top speed as well.

Sure, top speed runs on public roads is illegal and very dangerous, but I've done it a few times, but always alone. If someone wants to tell me I'm stupid, go ahead. I really don't care. My bike is stock and I weigh close to 300 with gear and all. I'm sure that doesn't help my "aerodynamics" either. I've seen 164 indicated. I figure that's around 150. It's very stable at speed. I think it went faster with a bigger windshield.

Super sport bikes are much more aerodynamic, have more HP and usually have a ram air of some sort to force more air and fuel into the engine at speed. I've heard of 10-20 HP increase just due to the ram air at close to 200. If you need to go 186 (300kph as all bikes are limited to that top end now) then get an R1 or other 1000-1400cc super bike. I was a little disappointed the FZ1 didn't have a higher top speed too, but it's so meaningless in the end.

I haven't cracked triple digits in a while, but I'm sure I will again at some point. It's very uncomfortable at 130 and above just because of all the wind. Let's all be careful. I don't want anyone to die!

Last edited:
Sure, top speed runs on public roads is illegal and very dangerous, but I've done it a few times, but always alone. If someone wants to tell me I'm stupid, go ahead. I really don't care. My bike is stock and I weigh close to 300 with gear and all. I'm sure that doesn't help my "aerodynamics" either. I've seen 164 indicated. I figure that's around 150. It's very stable at speed. I think it went faster with a bigger windshield.

Super sport bikes are much more aerodynamic, have more HP and usually have a ram air of some sort to force more air and fuel into the engine at speed. I've heard of 10-20 HP increase just due to the ram air at close to 200. If you need to go 186 (300kph as all bikes are limited to that top end now) then get an R1 or other 1000-1400cc super bike. I was a little disappointed the FZ1 didn't have a higher top speed too, but it's so meaningless in the end.

I haven't cracked triple digits in a while, but I'm sure I will again at some point. It's very uncomfortable at 130 and above just because of all the wind. Let's all be careful. I don't want anyone to die!

Your Stupid! :poke::hug:

Back