Top Speed in each gear

Sactown2008

Sorry if the answer is somewhere else on this forum.

If a magazine said a stock gen2 fz1 will do 85mph in 1st, what will it do in the other 5 gears? It must be screaming at 11,000rpm?

A friend with a FJ1300 asked, "Will it really do 85 in 1st?" I'd owned my fz1 for one week, "I have not done 55mph! How should I know?" :rofl:

I have yet to read what is the real top speed of the stock fz1.

Can you tell I am bored at 11:30pm? :rmwl:

Has to be close. Mine was doing 50kph at 4000rpm. That converts to 150kph at 12000rpm. Take off 8.5% speedo error = 137.5kph which is 85.283mph

Yep, I've seen 86mph at redline in 1st. :flash: The FZ1 has a close ratio gearbox, so there are relatively small increases per gear. If I remember right, I think I had to go to 3rd to top triple digits.

Top end... well, that's a different story. I can't get to redline in 6th. The lack of aerodynamics in this bike limits the top end. With my fat butt on my '07, I haven't see over 154-158 on the indicated and non-corrected speedo. Someday I'll put the GPS on it and see. I'm sure others can give you better info than I can.

I have touched 105 in 3rd quite near the redline (gen1). 4th and 5th redline speeds are tough to gauge because at 120-140mph I'm mostly concentrating on not becoming a red smear.

You can play with different gearing combinations here:

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

This is the FZ1 with stock gearing:
attachment.php

Back