Took the FZ1 to Mid Ohio

tires are pilot powers

Stock gearing? I have taken mine up to 15/45, but it's still too tall. Going to switch to 15/47. I've dedicated it to track only.

Your revs are running a little higher than mine, but then the track is different. I'd like to run it around 7K and above, but don't always manage that.

Nice shot on the Motard. Track pix are sure valuable. Last time I ran at Jennings, I thought I had pretty good body position throughout the day, but the photos reveal otherwise. (My legs are half the length of yours...)

Last edited:
Stock gearing? I have taken mine up to 15/45, but it's still too tall. Going to switch to 15/47. I've dedicated it to track only.

Your revs are running a little higher than mine, but then the track is different. I'd like to run it around 7K and above, but don't always manage that.

Nice shot on the Motard. Track pix are sure valuable. Last time I ran at Jennings, I thought I had pretty good body position throughout the day, but the photos reveal otherwise. (My legs are half the length of yours...)

yeah, stock gearing. not sure if it's the difference between the 1st and the second gen that is causing the discrepancies in the RPM's.

part of my problem was the closure rate on the corners is much higher than on the motard (obviously) so halfway down the straights my senses were telling me to back it off the corners coming up way too fast. then when i watch the video i see i could have taken it in much deeper and just got on the brakes harder. i'm pretty sure i didn't use much of the brakes all day.

this is something that will change as i become more accustomed to riding a big boy bike again.

part of my problem was the closure rate on the corners is much higher than on the motard (obviously) so halfway down the straights my senses were telling me to back it off the corners coming up way too fast. then when i watch the video i see i could have taken it in much deeper and just got on the brakes harder..

I notice this, too, from my videos. Which make it seem like I'm moving like molasses, but it doesn't feel that way from the seat. At Jennings, I brake at only two corners, 1 and 13. The rest are just roll offs or snick down a gear.

But at those corners, I tend to enter too slow--braking too early--and I end up accelerating into the entry, not out of the apex. This is an odd problem I didn't used to have but have developed recently as I have lowered my times a little. (I have the mental bandwidth to work on one turn at a time and that's about it.)

Jennings is a motorcycle-only track and has good brake and apex markers. Looking at your tape, Mid-Ohio looks nice, but it has some unappealing runoff areas. Are those walls padded?

I also have a CBR600 F4i, which I haven't ridden up there in a while. Guess I'll try it again next month. Going through tires like candy.

Back