Took the FZ1 to Mid Ohio

cozmo2312

went out with a buddy to Mid Ohio yesterday and took the FZ1... the big girl was a little out of place with all the track bikes, but overall, not too bad.

the track and facilities are awesome, people were super nice, and i had a great time. it was my first time out at Mid-O and the first trackday on a big track in a few years. couple that with not wanting to wad up a new bike with 600 miles on it, and i was running pretty slow.

anyway, enough excuses, on with the video. this was one of the last sessions where they let us start passing down the back straights, and i was pretty hesitant at first not knowing some of the lines of the other riders as i approached them. all in all, it was a good time. i started out really slow, and finished off just sorta slow.... now where did i put my trackbike?

YouTube - ‪Fz1 At Mid Ohio‬‏

Dude that's awesome. You have to admit that the FZ put a smile on your face when you passed more track orientated bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Ride as fast as you are comfortable. No prizes for first or a busted bike or worse! I'd love to go to a track someday, but I've never been.

Thanks for the video. I hope to make one like that someday!

tires felt good!

8be66e41.jpg

Congrats Cozmo! You did a great job and wasn't at all slow, at least by my standards. You should be proud of yourself. I bet you can't wait til the next one!

cool video. i'd love to do a track day. never have before. would like to do it on a beater or something. not on my fz-1 for the first time ever on a track. wouldn't wanna dump it. but later after some track days under my belt i would.

I think there is more risk of throwing it away after you pick up speed. Your first Track Day is more about getting familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well it's not my first, but first at mid-ohio... but i was a little concerned about throwing it down the road.

it did, till i ground my footpegs in the corners.

why must rearsets be so much $$ :(

Because they're worth it.

My Gilles are probably one of my favorite / top 3 mods I've done to my bike... they're worth the price just for the precise ball bearing movements alone...

it did, till i ground my footpegs in the corners.

why must rearsets be so much $$ :(

I've been running my FZ1 (Gen I) at the track and have the same ground clearance issues. I assume you've removed the center stand. It will also scrape.

But unless you want to spend a lot of money, the solution isn't necessarily rear sets but body positioning. Hanging off the bike will give you enough additional cornering speed to all but eliminate the clearance issue, until and unless you get really fast.

This is where the FZ1's weight is actually an advantage. You can crawl all over the thing without unpsetting the chassis in the slightest, so it's a very good training bike for learning body positioning. It will easily hold with the middleweights in the twisties.

I would recommend looking into Lee Parks Total Performance clinic. One day course with emphasis on body positioning. Ridden well, an FZ1 can absolutely spank a lot of sport bikes.

Very nice! You have no reason to make excuses, looked like a quick, smooth ride to me. You guy's make me so jealous when I watch these track day videos. I am working on getting my skill level up to that standard. Some day, hopefully sooner than later.

I've been running my FZ1 (Gen I) at the track and have the same ground clearance issues. I assume you've removed the center stand. It will also scrape.

But unless you want to spend a lot of money, the solution isn't necessarily rear sets but body positioning. Hanging off the bike will give you enough additional cornering speed to all but eliminate the clearance issue, until and unless you get really fast.

This is where the FZ1's weight is actually an advantage. You can crawl all over the thing without unpsetting the chassis in the slightest, so it's a very good training bike for learning body positioning. It will easily hold with the middleweights in the twisties.

I would recommend looking into Lee Parks Total Performance clinic. One day course with emphasis on body positioning. Ridden well, an FZ1 can absolutely spank a lot of sport bikes.

centerstand is off, peg feelers are off, bike was up, knee was down.... scrrraappeee... fuuu :shaking head:

it was mostly in one corner however.. an off camber left

centerstand is off, peg feelers are off, bike was up, knee was down.... scrrraappeee... fuuu :shaking head:

it was mostly in one corner however.. an off camber left

I have the same problem. Just one corner at the track where I ride gets the left peg, unless I'm pretty far off the bike.

Here's a photo. Turn 1 at Jennings. The guys running in the low 20s do that turn at well over 100, I think. I do it at about 85. As you can see from the photo, I still have ground clearance to spare, but the next area of concern is the front frame slider. And I can get off a little more and get the knee down. (I could care less about dragging it; BTDT.)

I think a good rider on an FZ1 can do well against an R1, although not beat it with equivalent riders.

What tires are you running?

yeah, you could hang a lot more off the bike. i wish i had some pics to see my positioning but the gf had to work that day so she couldn't come to take them. here's one of me on the supermoto from a few weeks back, and i'd like to think since both bikes have upright handlebars, that my body position was similar. one thing i do benefit from is having long legs so in theory i should be able to get my knee down at a lesser lean angle than someone with shorter legs.

no issues with peg dragging on the supermoto yet.

54a93e99.jpg

Back