Titanium Akrapovic full exhaust

Mattsplat

OK, so I know I said I wasnt going to chuck any money on performance mods...

Looks like I was kidding myself :hellno:

Found a 2nd hand full Akrapovic system and I was wondering if when I fit it, I have to do any other mods to have the bike running right with a full system on?

I really dont want to be buying a power commander as I shouldnt be buying the zorst as it is...

Advice please gents before I spend money I dont have : oops:

I think I have read that you do not need any more Mods when you install a full system like a slip on needing the AIS blocked.The system should control itself and the computer on the bike will read the right settings,Just to be safe I would unhook the battery and let the computer read the system after it is installed but thats just me.

I forgot to say, its off a 2006 Yamaha FZ1n and it will be going on a 2009 FZ1s.
Does that make any difference/likely to be fitment issues or am I good to go...?

Well, the EXUP cables will need to come out. Sort of obvious I suppose. You'll need to leave the EXUP motor in, or get an EXUP eliminator so the bike doesn't throw a "code" on you with the new exhaust.

Leave the EXUP motor in for a zero cost conversion. If the Akrapovic is a full-system, you'd probably be better off doing a PCV at the same time. If just a slip-on, you can wait on the PCV. Many will say that your bike will always run better with a PCV in it, but as you say, that's another $300 to throw at the bike.

I'm running a used Yamaha slip-on with no PCV. My plan is to do the air-box mod and PCV this winter. I've already spent bunches of money this summer on the bike and need to wait on the next mods.

Well, the EXUP cables will need to come out. Sort of obvious I suppose. You'll need to leave the EXUP motor in, or get an EXUP eliminator so the bike doesn't throw a "code" on you with the new exhaust.

Leave the EXUP motor in for a zero cost conversion. If the Akrapovic is a full-system, you'd probably be better off doing a PCV at the same time.

Good advice about the exup motor.

Yes, its a full system.
I shouldnt be buying it and the wife will throw a shit-fit if I then tell her I need to spend another €300 on a power commander (If thats what you mean by a PCV?).

Good advice about the exup motor.

Yes, its a full system.
I shouldnt be buying it and the wife will throw a shit-fit if I then tell her I need to spend another €300 on a power commander (If thats what you mean by a PCV?).

Well, the Akrapovic full-system is pretty "yummy" stuff, especially if you would be getting it at a good price. Maybe you could buy it and not install it until you can slip a PCV past your wife?? In any case, the cost of the needed mods and my wife's scrutiny is why I am doing things in phases.

Well, I won it!
£530 total including having it shipped to me in Belgium.
That was the upper limit of what I wanted to pay but thats still half price of a new one!

I dont dare tell the wife I need a power commander V now, I'll break that one to her another day, theres only so much she can take in one day :angel:

Here it is in all its lovely titanium glory :thewave:
qpmnuv.jpg

Awesome find! Well done!

It will fit without issues. You don't *need* to do anything else right away... it will pop/fart/gurgle until you plug/delete the AIS system but it does no harm at all, just annoying to most.

Recommended:

1. AIS plugged or removed
  2. Airbox modded - Better out flow needs better intake!
  3. Aftermarket filter BMC or K&N?
  4. Power Commander III or V, either will suffice.
  5. Dyno time for a custom map to suit the mods.
  6. Pain meds for the sore face wearing that silly ear-to-ear grin all day long...

I'm not entirely sure if Ivan's flash is compatible with the European bikes yet, we'd have to ask, but if it is and you can do it, he provides a map and you won't need dyno time... Or, you can use one of the many maps out there that suit your mods. With all of this along with the stacks and modded flies, I used the map provided on Graves Motorsports for their full exhaust and stacks. It rocks!

Akra system fitted and man does she pop, fart and gurgle now but its free'd the mid-range up...

AIS block off plates have arrived so I will begin with that.

Also, while Im doing the AIS, do you think I would get away with fitting a DNA filter?

Im not adding a PCV, going for the ECU reflash instead but would she run ok with the open system and DNA filter till its reflashed?

Last edited:
Im not adding a PCV, going for the ECU reflash instead but would she run ok with the open system and DNA filter till its reflashed?

so you want to melt some pistons???:D why would you install the filter before you have the fueling done, it will only run worse .

if you got mod fever... did you install gears? -1 front and +3 rear will get you closer to r1 ratio (I think)

Do you come to FBMC on 14?

Quite a few places do the fueling with the ECU flash, Ivan doesnt.

I understand the reasons why you choose Ivans, but I just want my ECU doing without the added cost of a PCV and Ignition module.

I haven't flashed anything yet, I was just pointing out that there are other avenues open to you.

BTW with Ivan's flash, you don't need an Ignition module, just the PCIII or PCV.

so you want to melt some pistons???:D why would you install the filter before you have the fueling done, it will only run worse .

if you got mod fever... did you install gears? -1 front and +3 rear will get you closer to r1 ratio (I think)

Do you come to FBMC on 14?

Gone up on the back, not down on the front yet.

Probably do it over winter, this sun wont last much longer...

Sorry but there's really no sense in delaying stuff - just get it over with. The remaining bits are simple:

- Air filter
- PC3/5
- Ivan's reflash - allow 1-2 weeks of downtime for this including shipping to and from Europe.

Maybe to save time/money have Ivan ship you an PC5 and air filter when he returns the ECU, then you only pay shipping once.

You're going to end up doing this later anyway, so why delay it? It really makes the bike a completely different machine in terms of comfort, smoothness, and overall enjoyment in riding.

Then you can start thinking about suspension mods. Most people say that suspension mods are the most important, but after Ivan's reflash became available, I think it's easily the best bang for the buck that you can do to this bike.

Back