Tires!

3B43

Tiime to swap tires and I'm thinking about Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I was thinking about a 'sportier' tire, but recently read an article and the head of R&D, of a major tire manu. said that the 'dual compound' sport/touring tires available today are BETTER (read they 'stick' better) then the pure sport/track tires of 4 years ago! No, I don't race the bike, or run 'Rossi' speeds on the road.

What kind of riding do you do? what tires are you currently running? in order, go from most important from most important to least important: Wet Grip, Dry Grip, Cornering Grip, Longevity, Profile, stickiness; What's your riding style like? Using your tire edge to edge means nothing if you're counter-leaning or not hanging off the bike...

All very valid questions that va_rider brings up. There is no doubt that tire technology is constantly evolving and getting better all the time. I'll just add that unless you're a super aggressive street rider the Pilot Road 2 should offer plenty of grip and tire life.

but on that same note... if you're not aggressive at all... and regularly have 1" chicken strips or larger, you're wasting your money on the Road 2's and could really just be running the regular Pilot Roads...

but on that same note... if you're not aggressive at all... and regularly have 1" chicken strips or larger, you're wasting your money on the Road 2's and could really just be running the regular Pilot Roads...

True, but we're hoping he gets better at it ;)

The 'chicken strips' on the stock Dunlop's that came w/the bike is about
.050" or less (and no, I don't think I have pushed the bike that much!). WIth that said . . . I want something that 'sticks' but gives 'decent' life! And from what I'm hearing, the Pilot Road 2's are super tires.

I used the road pilot 2's and found them to be exceptional. Went down the Oregon cost last summer, also did lots of hard twisties in the mountains. They performed exceptionally well.

I have put about 5000 km's on them so far and they show very little wear. Oh and my chicken strips are quite thin. I was able to touch the pegs down on through some of the twisties.

I am going to throw up a post too. I am also looking at a new set of rubber in the near future and was wondering what everyone thought. I have heard and read great things about the Michelin Pilot 2's and have also heard that the Conti Force and Road attacks are also very comparable to the Pilot 2's and also great tires. Who has had each and whats your thoughts?

If the weight is a factor... I believe that Bridgestone has the lightest tires on the market right now... not to mention, you can get a BT016 right now... you can't get a Power Pure right now... at least in the US.

I've run pilot powers for years and consistently get 6-8K on a rear, double on the front. All I can say is I'm a smooth throttle twister so my tires last awhile and I generally have no chicken strips on my rears and a very small on the front. They're excellent tires in all weather, hot, cold, wet, and dry and have been incredible tires. Just my $02.

Been running Pilot Road 2ct since 08, on R1 then FZ1s. Fantastic combination of all weather grip to the edges and long lasting.
Had bt016s on the R6. Fantastic tyres but with a very short life expectancy. You pays your money......

Saw this, figured it might be of some use.

attachment.php

Back