Tire pressures

Hi quick question about pressures ont his bike..have the pilot roads, I weigh about 150 and comute about 80 miles a day ..anyone have an idea about what pressure these bikes like to ride at ?
And then canyon days how much should they be dropped? Thanks

I run 38 front and back when im comuting.
I run the same when in the turns.
I drop the rear to 28 when im at the dragstrip.
I also weigh in around 150

I run 38 front and back when im comuting.
I run the same when in the turns.
I drop the rear to 28 when im at the dragstrip.
I also weigh in around 150

Although it depends on the tires brand, it is common to ride 3,4 PSI less then the Max PSI.
If you are running 38 at the back to comuting in my opinion it is much less than it should be. Maybe you get a little more gripp but the fuell per gallon consume is much higher than should be.
Doesn't it effect the tire in the middle to end faster and get a nonround shape?

Ya know what sucks? I’ve been finding like a 4-6 psi difference in tire gauge readings between different gauges. I have two “supposedly” good ones that disagree with each other. And they disagree with the gauge connected to the air pump at the gas station.

I need an ACCURATE gauge. Any recommendations?

Blue Point just came out with a digital one that I have and it seems to pretty damn accurate. I use it on my truck that has a tire pressure monitoring system and they both match up when I get done adjusting air pressure. So I consider that pretty reliable.

the avarage pressure should be

Front 36psi
Rear 38psi

what pressure one chooses is up to their individual needs or use , provided you dont over inflate or under inflate ..

Ya know what sucks? I’ve been finding like a 4-6 psi difference in tire gauge readings between different gauges. I have two “supposedly” good ones that disagree with each other. And they disagree with the gauge connected to the air pump at the gas station.

I need an ACCURATE gauge. Any recommendations?

I've generally found the same thing. For the most part, I think that most of the guages at stations and the ones connected to cheap pumps aren't worth paying any attention to. I finally went to an auto parts store and bought a good one for about $20 and it reads accurately when I compare it to other known good guages. The little ones with with square slider scales are probably the worst for accuracy. If you want accuracy, you have to pay for it. Some of the better tool manufacturers have good digital guages.

39 Front
42 Rear

Bridgestone 020's
I am close to 240 and when these pressures are lower, I can immediately feel the difference. These are the recommended pressures and I know why. The bike rides so much better with the right psi in the tires.

we all know what the standard tire pressures should be... it's printed in the manual and on the swing arm. it's up the you. how much to put in the front and how much to put in the rear. You need to feel comfortable riding but you also need to look at what brand and style tires you are running. i run perelli corsa III it's a much softer tire than the stock tire. I run 37 front 36 rear. but if you're just cruising all the time and not tearing up the curves you are able to have more PSI but a slight decrease in pressure will give you a bit more traction but also wear faster. Also remember when you check your tire pressure your tire needs to be cold.

Always remember...

"It's in fact more fun on the sides of the tires than on top!"

35 Front
37 Rear
Both cold, after a warm-up I adjust to:
34 Front
36 Rear
Meaning I let out air. I do this every two weeks or so depending on temperature changes.
I do a lot of aggressive street riding so the slightly lower pressure provides better grip. I do not do much highway riding here in Japan because all the highways are toll roads. I ride the mountain around Mt. Fuji.

accurate tire pressure gauges

I used to work in a high tech lab at one of the big three and one of job duties I had to perform was to check our tire gauges. I used a setup to read the gauges in parallel with a calibrated readout tracable to national standards. Accutire gauges at $12 - $20 were always within 0.5 psi full scale. At that price use them 5yr. or till the battery wears out and replace them. IMHO thats the best way to go. I hope this helps some of you as I know how important tire pressure really is. ALL THE BEST TO YOU, VALKRIDER

Originally posted by VA_Rider
I'm always at 40PSI up front, 40-41 in the rear. but... I'm about 250.... works well for me ...

Hey VA I am about the same weight actually closer to 265# and have been running 36psi front and 42 psi rear as that what it states in manuel even under load with gear and passenger. Of course I never ride with either. Anyway is'nt 40 psi a little high for the front.
Also I am curious as to what you have your suspension settings at ie: preload front and rear and rebound ,compression front and rear. I have an 08' model and just don't know if I have it dialed in right and you seem pretty knowledgeable from what I've read on your posts. Thanks cueist

Back