tire change question

RI_Grinch

Ok this is going to be my first tire change on my bike. I am wondering...is it necessary to change the valve stem when changing the tires? I know my clymers says to change them out but why? If it's in good condition then why spend the couple of extra bux to change it out?

Ok this is going to be my first tire change on my bike. I am wondering...is it necessary to change the valve stem when changing the tires? I know my clymers says to change them out but why? If it's in good condition then why spend the couple of extra bux to change it out?

I've never changed a valve stem and have never had an issue. If they are in good shape then don't worry about it.

Even on Big truck tires shops do this all the time (for about $20.00 a pop). I think maybe for them it is a liability issue and easy money. If the rubber shows no signs of dryness or cracking then I would leave them be, and just change the internals with their tiny "O" rings.

tire changes

Why go through the hassle of changing your own tires. I paid to have it done and the also balanced them with new stems and it was $17 each wheel. I did purchase the tires from them and I had to pull the wheels and bring them in, but way worth it.

Well on a 10 year old bike such as your it's probably a good idea to go ahead and replace them. Actually I would spend a little bit more and replace them with the angled ones to make checking tire pressure a breeze. A tip from another member here is to face the stem to the right side so you have a better angle when the bike is on the side stand.

They come in a variety of colors and can usually be had for around $25:
attachment.php

+1 on the angled valve stems. Its amazing how much easier they are to deal with. Just make sure they point to the throttle side of the bike for maximum effectiveness. really a must do.

Back