Timing advance

3 days with the 4* advancer

I am sure glad I ordered the gasket before diving into this project, followed instructions & everything went smooz.
1- The bike does start easier from overnight cold thought its not cold here in Los Angeles at night these days.
2- Definitely smoothed out the transition between opening & closing the throttle, the bike is so smooooth now a fuel injection wouldn't make it any better.
3- To be safe in this hot weather I filled the tack with 89 octane vs the 87 I was using to avoid pre ignition, will also try a tank full of 87 octane & decide which to use from now on.

Thanks Wolftamer for all your help & others who pitched in, this mod is great for a totally stock bike, I don't think I need any jetting, the bike runs great as it is.

the only issue now is when its time to adjust the valves the new advancer does not have any timing markings but I can easily swap the stock back for valve adjustment. $36.00 well worth it for sure at least for me.

I read that the advancer would reduce engine temps slightly. Anyone notice a change in engine temps after the install???

It's hard to say without a temp gauge. I can't think of any reason why it would. It might reduce exhaust temperature as starting the burn sooner means less unburned HC in the exhaust (less fuel burning in the exhaust)
No recip burns 100% of the fuel in the combustion chamber.

With jetting the throttle snatch goes away and you lose the flat spot that develops after adding a slip on. Problem is I don't know how stock with advancer feels. I may have felt the same way.

I installed a Delkvic slip on & kept the baffle in a month ago had no noticeable flat spot & now with the advancer it totally eliminated the snap, the bike is smooth and responsive at all speeds.

I got a huge flat spot when I installed my Yosh TRS between 7-9k. RR carb stuff fixed that. Aaron told me then to do the advancer but I waited. Now I've got a rocket! and a different muffler.

With my kind of riding mostly surface streets lane splitting I am almost always in the 3000 to 8000 RPMs range the advancer just made it smoother and more responsive especially in the transition from closed throttle to small throttle opening which use to just snap with little or no control before, I've had the bike since March & it is bone stock, I try to make slight changes & see what effect it has before diving into drilling the carbs and doing radical changes that I might not need for my riding style.

I would like to try a properly jetted bike for comparison with my stock bike, for now I am pretty satisfied, my next modding will be suspension though I am not dissatisfied with the stock setup but I don't know any better.

Throttle snap, I mean by that the abrupt surge in power with very little throttle opening, my bike had this problem since I bought it, some said its too lean others advised to sync the carbs, adjust the EXUP exhaust valve. I started with carb sync which smoothed it out a little but didn't take it away then I did the EXUP which was adjusted correctly but had no lubrication that didn't help the snap at all finally I decided to install the 4* advancer hoping it will help before I have to take drastic measures like carb jetting & airbox modification. After riding the bike with the advancer installed I can say it totally eliminated the throttle snapping & hesitation making the transition from completely closed throttle to slight opening seamless with no hint of snapping or abruptness, very controlled & predictable throttle response. finally problem solved.
Thanks to all that helped I couldn't have done it without your input.

After using one gas tank with 89 octane & a second with 87 octane I felt no pre ignition with the lower octane so I'll stick with it. another observation is better gas mileage, I really don't care much about that but here it is from topped off full to fuel light I use to get 120 miles now with the advancer I am getting 155 miles a difference of 35 miles extra with the same riding style.

After using one gas tank with 89 octane & a second with 87 octane I felt no pre ignition with the lower octane so I'll stick with it. another observation is better gas mileage, I really don't care much about that but here it is from topped off full to fuel light I use to get 120 miles now with the advancer I am getting 155 miles a difference of 35 miles extra with the same riding style.

Holy crap, are you just pinning the throttle constantly? I get at least 170 to the light.

Back