Time for new oil..what do you like best and why?

drclarksmith

Wanted to know what everyone uses besides the yamalube. I've done a ton of research, and learned a ton about all the different types of oil's but still don't know if there is anything out there better than the fully synthetic with esters.

I'd like to see if anyone has something they like better, or something that makes their ride smoother and shifts smoother as well?

I used to run ams in everything but Ive now gone to back to Mobil 1 because I get a heck of a discount on it.

Oh and I use Rotella in my truck if that makes any difference. :spam1:

I thought about the Motul 300V..... it's one of the only pure ester based oils out there, which in turn leads to the best removal of harmful debris and breakdown in high stress riding.

Sorry, I run 15W-50 Full Synthetic with the Ester. Smooth as butter.

While I am biased (based on my employer), I know that Yamalube is engineered by Yamaha for Yamaha. Its been tested and tested and designed to meet their specifications. I've also personally seen an R1 engine run 100K miles on the stuff that looked practically new on the inside. Its just a non decision for me.

There are also plenty of good oils out there. Its harder to go wrong than to go right. I used to run T6 like the above poster in my Gen 1.

Last edited:
I've used both Mobil 1 mx4t 10w40 ( motorcycle specific ) and Rotella T6 15w40
marketed for diesels but meets the motorcycle wet clutch requirements.

Shifting seems the best with the Mobil 1 but its quite a bit more expensive unless you find it on sale or get a coupon.

Mobil 1 mx4t 10w40 ( motorcycle specific )

Same.

I run Mobil 1 10-30 in my Cars and have done so for many years now.

I had a conversation with a mechanic who used to work for Shell Oil years ago and he was very pro Synthetic over standard, so I took his advice and have not looked back.

:doh2::doh2::doh2:
I thought about the Motul 300V..... it's one of the only pure ester based oils out there, which in turn leads to the best removal of harmful debris and breakdown in high stress riding.

well, if you want to try Motul... and you're not tracking it... try the 7100, it is for street, 300V is for racing/track....

other than that, the only thing that matters is that you change your oil on a regular interval.... find what you like... and stick with it until you want to try something new...

Yep gonna go with the Mobil 1 this go around. Got 4 quarts, and a K&N air filter for 58.00. SO we'll see if it's better than the yamalube, but anythings better than the oil that has sat in it for 2 years basically untouched. I changed it at 5K and moved to Miami for two years and only rode it 3 times. It now has 5300 miles, but the oil look dark and nasty, so I'm sure it's due.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Yep gonna go with the Mobil 1 this go around. Got 4 quarts, and a K&N air filter for 58.00. SO we'll see if it's better than the yamalube, but anythings better than the oil that has sat in it for 2 years basically untouched. I changed it at 5K and moved to Miami for two years and only rode it 3 times. It now has 5300 miles, but the oil look dark and nasty, so I'm sure it's due.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Don't get too hung up on color....that means its working!

Something to consider for the K&N air filter folks, they let in much most "stuff" and you end up changing your oil more often. More dirt = nasty oil.

Back