Time for Chain Lube?

NAPA121

Guys,

I normally re-lube the chain straight away after cleaning but have just cleaned the chain again and wont be riding for at least a few days probably a week or 2 so thought I would lube it when I need to ride.

Is leaving the chain un-lubed and unused ok or should you lube straight away as a chain needs to always be lubed?

Advice from the oracles always greatly received.

Cheers
Neil

Well your supposed to lube the chain when its warm. If I was you I would take it around the block a couple times to warm it up, then lube it then put it away.

However, I dont see how letting it sit for a couple days would actually hurt anything. Ive seen chains be severly neglected and still work fine...

Guys,

I normally re-lube the chain straight away after cleaning but have just cleaned the chain again and wont be riding for at least a few days probably a week or 2 so thought I would lube it when I need to ride.

Is leaving the chain un-lubed and unused ok or should you lube straight away as a chain needs to always be lubed?

Advice from the oracles always greatly received.

Cheers
Neil

I would say, it depends on what product you used to clean it. If it was a water based cleaner, like "simple green" or the like then I would lube it right away. If it is Kerosene (oil based solvent)that was used to do the cleaning then it will be fine to let sit. Like "Papa" said though, warm it up before you lube it. If the weather is bad and I don't want to take the bike for a spin to warm it up I just use a torch (with the bike on a stand so I can rotate the wheel) and carefully get it warm. Then lube it right away.

Not going to hurt anything to leave it w/o lube for a few days as long as it's sitting indoors (outdoors you might get some surface rust). As PapaGeno21 said it should be lubed when warm so go for a quick ride to get a little heat in it before applying lube.

ummmm

I want video of this process..

Really, it's not that complicated. I use a small propane micro torch (Red-Tech, with a small screw on can)and move the flame back and forth across the links as I turn the wheel until the chain is warm (but not hot) to the touch. I try to get it to feel the same as after I get back from a ride.

Perhaps I will experiment with the movie function on my Canon this winter and make a short video. I have never found that this process does any harm, and the lube seems to suck into the joints really well. Even with the Chain still moist from the Kerosene cleaning (I wipe it off well), it is no problem and doesn't flame. I would suggest making sure to be in a well ventilated area.

Lee? Torch on the chain? with rubber o-rings? I'm not too keen on that idea myself and riding it is FAR more enjoyable. :D I understand that you are careful and all, but it seems so unconventional.

How about a hair dryer instead? :tup: Safer!

Don't Try this at Home.

Lee? Torch on the chain? with rubber o-rings? I'm not too keen on that idea myself and riding it is FAR more enjoyable. :D I understand that you are careful and all, but it seems so unconventional.

How about a hair dryer instead? :tup: Safer!

That's OK I won't try to convince anyone about this. I can say that I have done this quite a few times (as I prefer to work on the bike when the weather is lousy). I have not ruined a chain, or anything else on any bike yet. You have to remember that the rubber o-rings are well covered by the chain components, and I am not talking welding torch here. Micro torch puts out an easily controled and directed flame. Believe me my bikes mean too much to me to do anything that would damage them, and given the choice I will always clean and lube after coming back from a ride.

Just call me the unconventional conventionalist.:laugh2: And don't try this at home, it only works if you live in Canada.;)

Just fit a Scottoiler and forget lubing the chain forever. As it only lubes when the engine is running it won't leave a puddle of oil on the floor either. I've had the same oiler fitted to my previous FZ6 and now to my '08 FZ1 Fazer.

Taksi

Just fit a Scottoiler and forget lubing the chain forever. As it only lubes when the engine is running it won't leave a puddle of oil on the floor either. I've had the same oiler fitted to my previous FZ6 and now to my '08 FZ1 Fazer.

Taksi

As neat as that thing is (and I considered it, trust me), it seems like an unnecessary expense when it takes a few minutes to lube a chain--especially if it has a centre stand

Taksi

I prefer wax, WAY less splatter everywhere!
Plus one on the extra expense, I could think of 50 things I'd rather buy for my bike for the cost. :) cool idea though.

Shaft drive is also nice. :D No more adjustments at all!

I use the Dupont chain wax with teflon. Great stuff. No fling (if applied properly, set then wiped down!)

you can do a wheelie just fine on shaft drives, look at the BMW HP2/1200GS

These guys seem to have the wheelie thing figured out with shaft drives:

038_2012_yamaha_super_tenere_cd_gallery.jpg

GSwheelie.jpg

Back