Tight motor or just typical?

I've got a 2008 fared FZ1 in the U.S. with only 248 miles on the odo. Seems like it'll take forever (and a lot of resistance) to make it to the proper break in marker.

That said, I've got a question regarding your new bike experience. Did your's start on the first or second push of the starter after sitting over night? Mine fires on the first, but will stay started on the second.

Not sure if the motor is just so new that it hasn't loosened up yet or if it's typical. To confuse matters, the bike starts on the first try after sitting at work --- regardless of whether it's sat for 4, 8 or 10 hours.

The bike sits in parking garages at both home and work, and the ambient temp is similar (approx low of 50 F).

Other that that, I'm just loving the roll on acceleration --- up to 6K RPM for the time being.

My 08 has always started first try, pretty much every time regardless of how long it sits. I would give it a little time though, my motor has loosened up a lot over the 6000 miles I have put on it. Just gets better and better, I love this bike. :)

M<y bike is at 1,100 miles. I did not have the starting issue you describe, but I did notice the motor being a bit tighter when brand new.

I'd give it a little more time/miles.

When you put the key and turn it to "On" are you letting the bike do the startup sequence? (full tach sweep and blinking lights.) While it's doing that, the fuel injectors are priming. If you don't wait, you won't have enough fuel ready to start the bike.

Are you supposed to wait longer than the full sweep and back? The dealer mentioned something about that when I took the bike home but I don't see anything in the manual about it. thanks

When you put the key and turn it to \"On\" are you letting the bike do the startup sequence? (full tach sweep and blinking lights.) While it's doing that, the fuel injectors are priming. If you don't wait, you won't have enough fuel ready to start the bike.

^^
+ 1 agree -
its best to let the FZ1 go through its start up sequence , wait till the fuel pump has primed up etc & then press the start button ..

Are you supposed to wait longer than the full sweep and back? The dealer mentioned something about that when I took the bike home but I don't see anything in the manual about it. thanks

No, you should be able to use the starter as soon as it's done with flashing lights and the tach sweep.

Now if you stop for just a short while, you should be able to start the bike without waiting for the injectors to prime. Sometimes I don't even hear the fuel pumps turn on because the fuel is already there. Again, that's only if you've been parked for a short while.

When my bike sat in the shed for about a month it started and died but it fired right back up after I let it do its thing first.
When I ride to work I let it sweep and then I start it after work I just turn the key a start it without waiting.

Good question about the start up sequence that I should have added earlier --- always let it complete before thumbing the starter. Small price to pay for the benefits of EFI!

That said, I'll mention it to the dealer's shop when I get the first service done (yes, I let them do it -- for a bit over $200 USD --- so they give it a good shake down).

Thx to all for the input.

Passed the 1K mile mark and magically the engine starts on the first time, every time now. Weird that no one else experienced this, but I'm not going to argue with the final result...finally starting like a Japanese-engineered piece of machinery!

Don't be worried about the starting issue, it'll be fine with more miles. Modern high reving motorcycle engines have tight tolerences and can take up to 2,000 mi to completely bed in. In regards to break in, don't be to light with the throttle hand after about 200 mi and an oil change. Some "power pulls" as Rob Muzzy calls them are good for the motor.

Don't be worried about the starting issue, it'll be fine with more miles. Modern high reving motorcycle engines have tight tolerences and can take up to 2,000 mi to completely bed in. In regards to break in, don't be to light with the throttle hand after about 200 mi and an oil change. Some \"power pulls\" as Rob Muzzy calls them are good for the motor.

Absolutly. The nice power pulls from low rpm's, not pegging it to the rev limiter are very important. Also important is using engine deceleration. Using the engine to slow the bike helps bed in the rings. Roll it on and roll it off repeatedly.

Back