Ticking

I consider myself to be pretty tuned to how my bike runs, recently I swear I hear a ticking noise down by the engine. Never noticed it before I changed the plugs to iridiums, modded the flies, cut the snorkel off the airbox, and changed the oil to Mobile 1 synthetic, and a K&N oil filter. Now granted, the bike has sat 4 days this week and that's a rarety, I usually ride everyday, and I JUST noticed it today. So, suggestions on what I can look at? I only hear it at idle, not at rev.

Thanks my friends!

I consider myself to be pretty tuned to how my bike runs, recently I swear I hear a ticking noise down by the engine. Never noticed it before I changed the plugs to iridiums, modded the flies, cut the snorkel off the airbox, and changed the oil to Mobile 1 synthetic, and a K&N oil filter. Now granted, the bike has sat 4 days this week and that's a rarety, I usually ride everyday, and I JUST noticed it today. So, suggestions on what I can look at? I only hear it at idle, not at rev.

Thanks my friends!

How many miles do you have on her now? It could be nothing. I'm assuming that your not up to or over 26,000 miles where it would be time to have the valves checked. Thats if it's the same on a GenII as a GenI.

Naw, she's at 10,000, I'm hoping to get a shop manual and be able to adjust those myself by then. :) it could just be the sitting for 4 days I suppose. Or I could be being overly sensitive as well, since it's my baby. :)

My internet diagnosis suggests it might be loose header nuts, or a timing chain adjuster getting close to jumping to the next adjustment tooth.

Does the ticking change with rpm at all?

Thanks my friends!

You may just be able to hear things a bit better because of the mods that I put in bold on your above post.

:ditto: to what Oldschool said.

I've always noticed more engine noise when I switch to a full syn oil.
I have valve ticking as well-run Mobil 1-and I have about 6K on the clock. Not too worried about it (well I do have an extended warranty, so that's one reason) BUT, I kinda think it's just valve noise, which is normal-at least in small amounts.
Also, after 20 mins runing, I'm pretty sure noise goes away.

Last edited:
Back