Throttle holder thingy

So at the risk of being made fun of again I'm looking for that throttle holder thing that you just press down in stead of having to hold it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks in advance.

ThrottleMeister.JPG

see http://throttlemeister.com/, the thing to the right of the throttle. The thing at my palm is just there as a throttle position reference.

Last edited:
What the heck, this actually locks your throttle? Sounds dangerous...

Works by friction only and is easily overcome just by flipping the thumb latch or simply twisting the throttle. It is a very old fashoined design that has been around for a long time. It allows you to momentarily take your hand off the grip to flex your fingers and get feeling back. It comes in handy droning down long straight roads. There are better designs, but none as cheap. I prefer the "Vista Cruise" on the right side bar of that page. In truth I have not bothered to put any on any of my bikes. With the stock grips and a quality pair of gloves my hands don't get sore on either the FZ-1 or the KLR 650. My old FZ 600 S was hard on my wrists and palms on long rides.

Last edited:
My FZ1 came with a rudimentary throttle lock which I promptly removed.

I've found that unless a bike is an extreme torture rack, a throttle lock is really not necessary if you take the time to exercise good body mechanics while on the bike. Things like squeezing the tank with your legs, engaging your core muscles (suck in your gut) and keeping weight off your arms will really help you remain comfortable all day long.

I had the NEP throttle lock on my fz for a bit and it's a decent piece for the money ( I paid about $20 for it). I had to cut and grind the NEP for it to fit like I wanted and it was slightly awkward to flip the long lever while riding. It required some tweaking to try to find a the sweet spot in adjustment where it was tight enough to keep the throttle from slipping but loose enough to allow me to easily override it if needed.
I picked up a used Breakaway throttle lock recently and I must say it is much better and safer to use (as it should be for the price). It holds the throttle position easily and automatically disengages when the brake lever is tapped. You can also adjust the throttle input as terrain changes without disengaging the throttle lock.
If you don't plan to use the throttle lock much I would say the NEP/vista product is fine, if you plan to use it a lot the Breakaway is worth the money.

I run mine all of the time. It is adjusted so that there is just enough tension to hold the throttle at the last position if you let go. But any force at all in the forward direction and it smoothly rolls off. I have a fairly bad case of corporal tunnel and my right hand looses all feeling if I can't let off my grip fairly often. These things make holding a steady throttle position in the bumps far easier.

AW

Yup, that's my reason too, I don't have carpal tunnel but I do experience some of the symptoms (darn mouse) Thanks to all that responded.

I run mine all of the time. It is adjusted so that there is just enough tension to hold the throttle at the last position if you let go. But any force at all in the forward direction and it smoothly rolls off. I have a fairly bad case of corporal tunnel and my right hand looses all feeling if I can't let off my grip fairly often. These things make holding a steady throttle position in the bumps far easier.

AW

See this is my problem I have noticed, I start looking for a $10 plastic part and then find out there is a $200 "nicer" alternative... :shaking head:
I have to win the lottery this time, I just have to!

See this is my problem I have noticed, I start looking for a $10 plastic part and then find out there is a $200 "nicer" alternative... :shaking head:
I have to win the lottery this time, I just have to!

Yup, for some folks $10 solutions are enough, for others it's worth spending the extra money to get something nicer. I've found over time that when I cheap out on something I usually end up wishing I had just spent the extra money to get what I really wanted. This is such a case... the improved function and safety of the Breakaway vs. the NEP was worth the price difference to me.

Me too, I just bought one...

Yup, for some folks $10 solutions are enough, for others it's worth spending the extra money to get something nicer. I've found over time that when I cheap out on something I usually end up wishing I had just spent the extra money to get what I really wanted. This is such a case... the improved function and safety of the Breakaway vs. the NEP was worth the price difference to me.

So at the risk of being made fun of again I'm looking for that throttle holder thing that you just press down in stead of having to hold it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks in advance.

I've had the Throttle Rocker before. I used it on a trip from Portland, Oregon down to So Cal. It works great on the freeways/highways and allows you to increase or decrease speed with just the weight of you hand. It's kind of like power steering for your throttle. It keeps your wrist from aching on those long interstate jaunts. You shouldn't use it on city streets or heavy traffic. You will find yourself giving it too much throttle and parking your bike in someone’s trunk if you're not careful. I usually rotate it forward and down when not in use, than roll it back up under my palm when back up to speed. I have one under the seat of my FZ1 just in case I find myself on a long super slab getting from point A to point B and my hand starts falling asleep.

I also had a Harley with their friction device similar in concept to the Throttle Meister but screwed in from the bottom and you adjust it with your thumb. It is good for allowing you to relax your death grip on the throttle. It's the best when you want to let go altogether to adjust your jacket, sunglasses, GPS etc. and not drop your speed. If you travel in a group, you will find yourself constantly making slight adjustments of the throttle to keep the proper distance from you and the bike in front of you. Same thing goes for going up and down hills. You can also use the friction type throttle devices to raise the idle speed for warm ups or tuning or ??

They both have their pluses and minuses. If you do a lot of constant speed touring either one is great. One is cheap and easy (like my ex) the other is more costly and less complex (unlike my ex) once installed.

I was thinking of getting the Throttle Meister or similar for a trip I have coming up in the spring.

Steve :2cents:

I have also started doing what Dustin here recommends and it is true it does relieve your wrists. I have only been riding for a month so I do treasure these little tips :)

My FZ1 came with a rudimentary throttle lock which I promptly removed.

I've found that unless a bike is an extreme torture rack, a throttle lock is really not necessary if you take the time to exercise good body mechanics while on the bike. Things like squeezing the tank with your legs, engaging your core muscles (suck in your gut) and keeping weight off your arms will really help you remain comfortable all day long.

Well I'm bummed. I purchased a really nice breakaway cruise control BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control only to find out while installing it that it wont work out for me. The reason is the heated grips. There is a wire that runs underneath the grip and when you install this throttle lock it squeezes the wire and it wont allow it to release the throttle. I think I will probably have to get a throttlemeister Throttlemeister - Home in stead. I'm really bummed because I'm going to Vegas next week and it would have been perfect for that trip.:(

Riding to Vegas from South Dakota? What a Man, then it hit me your SD location must be San Diego. If you can't get the throttlemiester before your trip at least pick up the cheap throttle rocker for some help on the trip. How about posting some pics of your ride when you return.

:) while it is San Diego, I do plan on doing longer trips eventually. Sure I'll try to post some pics :)

Riding to Vegas from South Dakota? What a Man, then it hit me your SD location must be San Diego. If you can't get the throttlemiester before your trip at least pick up the cheap throttle rocker for some help on the trip. How about posting some pics of your ride when you return.

Back