This is disturbing.

The first couple seconds show a the rover in it's own lane without much attention. I agree that we might be missing a piece of the story, but if you brake check a 4000 lb vehicle in traffic on a motorcycle you're an idiot. To me they were just riding like asses. The group was riding erratically and taking up the whole motorway. If the auto traffic was annoyed they had a right to be. In the end the bikers picked a fight that ended badly for all. Shit happens in traffic; deal with it and move on.

oh yeah, I totally agree, I am not defending anyone in this story. I think there is blame to go around on all parties.

I am mostly curious as to what the SUV driver could have done to cause the motorcycle to react in such a moronic way.

If a Cage does something to bother me I just make roost and get out of there, i have no desire to get into a bumper battle with a 4000lb vehicle.

oh yeah, I totally agree, I am not defending anyone in this story. I think there is blame to go around on all parties.

I am mostly curious as to what the SUV driver could have done to cause the motorcycle to react in such a moronic way.

If a Cage does something to bother me I just make roost and get out of there, i have no desire to get into a bumper battle with a 4000lb vehicle.

Who knows. Such a shame that it got so far.

Good video... Both sides are wrong in my opinion. Not sure how some of you guys would say that you would do the same. He could have easily killed one of the other rider that was just out for a fun group ride.

I don't think anyone surrounding his vehicle in was just in it for a fun group ride. ESPECIALLY after he took off. I mean you just watch this guy take down bikes on two different occasions, and you wouldn't stop right behind him or around him again.

He had a 5 month old in the back seat. I can say with 100% certainly any bike getting near my car after that would be hit.

It looks like they stopped other cars too. All he had to do was probably beep at them or flip them off...that mob mentality. Plus most of those guys were looking for trouble--no license plates.

I am sure there is more to the story.

Oh I agree!

1) Where the heck are NYC's finest? That vid is 6+ minutes.
2) Why was the video stopped right when they assaulted the SUV?

I've read the provocation is the driver had called the police on the douche bags, we'll see soon enough.

There is much more to this story.

There are some very interesting conversations going on over at Jalopnik. I am an active comenter there:

Watch NYC Bikers Attack A Range Rover After Driver Runs Over Riders

Here is my first comment over there which has sparked a number of replies:

Something is missing from the video feed. From where we see the video feed starting it looks to me like a motorcycle cuts off the Range Rover and Brake checks him. Did the guy on the motorcycle do this on purpose, or was he reacting to something the Range Rover did before that we did not see on video? I am pretty sure we are missing a big part of this story. I am very curious to know why that Biker Brake Checked the SUV.

My thoughts exactly. Worst thing is a lot of guys wouldnt do crap like that unless in the "MOB" like that.

A mob! well put.

Idiots. Put me in the same situation with my family or alone in todays world? My Ram 4X4 quad cab is getting scratched. Me nor my family is going to be harmed because I was out ont he road when they came by. I wouldnt think twice to dump a few bikes.

Oh I agree!

1) Where the heck are NYC's finest? That vid is 6+ minutes.
2) Why was the video stopped right when they assaulted the SUV?

I've read the provocation is the driver had called the police on the douche bags, we'll see soon enough.

There is much more to this story.

"Jay Meezee, was hurt badly. he was ran over by this man and doctors say he might never walk again. He was not the one he bumped but one the the bikers still by his own bike when this man took off. He is in critical condition fighting for his life. The doctors have updated his status to paralyzed from the waist down.

So lets all calm the totally unequal bon fire. Everything isn't what it seems."

"Police say several bikers beat the driver. He sustained injuries to his face and torso as well as two black eyes. He was transported to Columbia University Medical Center where he was treated for facial lacerations, stitched up, and discharged."

"Jay Meezee, was hurt badly. he was ran over by this man and doctors say he might never walk again. He was not the one he bumped but one the the bikers still by his own bike when this man took off. He is in critical condition fighting for his life. The doctors have updated his status to paralyzed from the waist down.

So lets all calm the totally unequal bon fire. Everything isn't what it seems."

"Police say several bikers beat the driver. He sustained injuries to his face and torso as well as two black eyes. He was transported to Columbia University Medical Center where he was treated for facial lacerations, stitched up, and discharged."

I feel bad for that rider however his role was intended to bully or terrify as part a group, Mob, swarm whatever they wish to be refered.
I would not have looked to see who was who if I was making a move for what I though was for the good of my own safety.
Everyone there on bikes played a role in the intimedation of this family.

It was be nice to follow the case and give real biker support to the family in the RRover during precedings. Try to send message the not all groups are going to terrorize people and keep us from being ran over proactively by some trigger happy person who fears do to this action.

I watched the video but I haven't quite decided how I feel about the whole situation. I do feel that this kind of mass group ride of thugs is bullshit full stop. Evitzee has it nailed, they are a stain on society.

It must be pretty scary to be caught in the middle of something like that with your wife and kids on board but I'm not sure if that was a wise choice of action.

America is such a funny place. I'm surprised nobody pulled out their guns and started firing rounds off while eating cheeseburgers

That's in Arizona Dustin and this kind of thing wouldn't happen here because enough people know that someone is carrying

I wish these idiot riders were into politics and would do this type of riotous act to all the politicians that chose to throw a temper tantrum and not go to work.

I usually carry 22 hollow-point 45's in mags - at my accuracy 10-15 at minimum would have been layed out on the highway - I'm pretty sure the rest would have backed off by then. :shame:

What we cannot see is what happened right after the first rider was hit by the SUV. Obviously the riders surrounded the SUV, but we cannot see if they at that moment began smashing in windows like a bunch of lunatics. I am sure it was scary for the driver and his family to have his car surrounded, but something besides some guys standing around the vehicle would have to prompt me to start running over people. I think the Motorcycles involved should be prosecuted for instigating the entire scene, but the driver of the SUV needs to be held liable for running over people, unless he can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his life was in danger and using his vehicle as an attempted murder weapon was fully justified. This just went from bad to worse. I really hope the guy filming is man enough to give all the high res footage to the police showing exactly who the people are who did the beating of the driver. The driver of the SUV and the guys who beat him up need to be handcuffed together and perform supervised community server cleaning trash on the streets of NYC with signs of shame around their necks.

Sad display of Mob mentality

Truly a disgusting display of Mob mentality. It was all over the news here, albeit heavily edited for time. I watched the whole revolting video on line. I wish I could feel sympathy for the rider who's life will now be very tough (assuming he makes it), but he is not blameless and certainly his fellow riders bare the lion's share of the blame for instigating this tragedy. I hope they find every rider in this group and prosecute them all. Not one of them is blameless and should all lose the privilege of ever riding again.

If a gang (or even an individual) ever threatens my family I will do whatever is deemed necessary at the time to ensure their safety. If I had been the driver in that situation I would have tried to avoid the group, allowing them to pass by easily, and the video doesn't show much leading up to that point. If a group like that was looking for trouble, and it sure appears so in the video there is little the driver could have done but stop and be victimized. I know that would not happen with me, I am hard to intimidate and have a hot temper so I can see this kind of thing getting out of hand quickly, like it did. One thing, other than shear mass, that a car (or SUV) has going for it is fuel range. It is too bad he didn't just get up on the freeway and go until the bikes ran out of fuel. In town there was no way to avoid an inevitable stop, and confrontation like what went down. I wonder if the driver of the ranger had dialed 911 during the whole thing. My wife would have been on the phone and taking video during the whole episode.

The whole thing though is a sorry display of what is wrong with so many young people (and yes I am making a huge generalization) today, especially when they get in large packs like what was shown. The only time you see that many bikes together here is for a charity ride. Even then, I think it is dangerous when so many bikes are that close together on the street (without tempers flaring and adrenaline pumping).

Very sad all around.

Back